SENATE BILL 5021
State of Washington 52nd Legislature 1991 Regular Session
By Senator Barr.
Read first time January 15, 1991. Referred to Committee on Ways & Means.
AN ACT Relating to leasehold excise tax exemptions; and amending RCW 82.29A.130.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. RCW 82.29A.130 and 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 61 s 13 are each amended to read as follows:
The following leasehold interests shall be exempt from taxes imposed pursuant to RCW 82.29A.030 and 82.29A.040:
(1) All leasehold interests constituting a part of the operating properties of any public utility which is assessed and taxed as a public utility pursuant to chapter 84.12 RCW.
(2) All leasehold interests in facilities owned or used by a school, college or university which leasehold provides housing for students and which is otherwise exempt from taxation under provisions of RCW 84.36.010 and 84.36.050.
(3) All leasehold interests of subsidized housing where the fee ownership of such property is vested in the government of the United States, or the state of Washington or any political subdivision thereof but only if income qualification exists for such housing.
(4) All leasehold interests used for fair purposes of a nonprofit fair association that sponsors or conducts a fair or fairs which receive support from revenues collected pursuant to RCW 67.16.100 and allocated by the director of the department of agriculture where the fee ownership of such property is vested in the government of the United States, the state of Washington or any of its political subdivisions: PROVIDED, That this exemption shall not apply to the leasehold interest of any sublessee of such nonprofit fair association if such leasehold interest would be taxable if it were the primary lease.
(5) All leasehold interests in any property of any public entity used as a residence by an employee of that public entity who is required as a condition of employment to live in the publicly owned property.
(6) All leasehold interests in real property held by a person using the property for residential purposes, if the residential structure is the personal property of the lessee and such structure is subject to the personal property tax.
(7) All leasehold interests held by enrolled Indians of lands owned or held by any Indian or Indian tribe where the fee ownership of such property is vested in or held in trust by the United States and which are not subleased to other than to a lessee which would qualify pursuant to this chapter, RCW 84.36.451 and 84.40.175.
(8) All leasehold interests in any real property of any Indian or Indian
tribe, band, or community that is held in trust by the United States or is
subject to a restriction against alienation imposed by the United States:
PROVIDED, That this exemption shall apply only where it is determined that
contract rent paid is greater than or equal to ninety percent of fair market
rental, to be determined by the department of revenue using the same criteria
used to establish taxable rent in RCW 82.29A.020(2)(b).
(9) All leasehold interests for which annual taxable rent is less than
two hundred fifty dollars per year. For purposes of this subsection leasehold
interests held by the same lessee in contiguous properties owned by the same
lessor shall be deemed a single leasehold interest.
(10) All leasehold interests which give use or possession of the leased
property for a continuous period of less than thirty days: PROVIDED, That for
purposes of this subsection, successive leases or lease renewals giving
substantially continuous use of possession of the same property to the same
lessee shall be deemed a single leasehold interest: PROVIDED FURTHER, That no
leasehold interest shall be deemed to give use or possession for a period of
less than thirty days solely by virtue of the reservation by the public lessor
of the right to use the property or to allow third parties to use the property
on an occasional, temporary basis.
(11) All leasehold interests under month-to-month leases in residential
units rented for residential purposes of the lessee pending destruction or
removal for the purpose of constructing a public highway or building.
(12) All leasehold interests in any publicly owned real or personal
property to the extent such leasehold interests arises solely by virtue of a
contract for public improvements or work executed under the public works
statutes of this state or of the United States between the public owner of the
property and a contractor.