SENATE BILL 5043
State of Washington 52nd Legislature 1991 Regular Session
By Senators Nelson, Bailey, Vognild and Amondson; by request of Secretary of State.
Read first time January 17, 1991. Referred to Committee on Governmental Operations.Authorizing facsimile filing of election documents.
AN ACT Relating to facsimile filing of election documents; and adding new sections to chapter 29.04 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 29.04 RCW to read as follows:
The secretary of state or a county auditor shall accept and file in his or her office electronic facsimile transmissions of the following documents:
(1) Declarations and affidavits of candidacy;
(2) County canvass reports;
(3) Candidates' pamphlet statements;
(4) Arguments for and against ballot measures that will appear in a voters' pamphlet;
(5) Requests for recounts;
(6) Certification of candidates and measures by the secretary of state;
(7) Direction by the secretary of state for the conduct of a mandatory recount;
(8) Requests for absentee ballots;
(9) Any other document authorized by rule adopted by the secretary of state under section 2 of this act.
The acceptance by the secretary of state or the county auditor is conditional upon the facsimile document being filed in a timely manner, being legible, and otherwise satisfying the requirements of state law or rules with respect to form. The secretary of state may provide by rule that the filing of any of the above documents must be followed within a specified period of time by the original document or the facsimile filing is invalid.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 29.04 RCW to read as follows: