ENGROSSED SUBSTITUTE SENATE BILL 5156
State of Washington 52nd Legislature 1991 Regular Session
By Senate Committee on Governmental Operations (originally sponsored by Senators McCaslin, Sutherland, Roach, Matson and Madsen).
Read first time March 6, 1991.
AN ACT Relating to candidate residency requirements; adding a new section to chapter 29.18 RCW; adding a new section to chapter 29.04 RCW; and recodifying RCW 29.18.‑- and 29.04.--.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 29.18 RCW to read as follows:
(1) A person filing a declaration and affidavit of candidacy for an office shall, at the time of filing, possess the legal qualifications specified by law for persons who may be elected to the office.
(2) Upon filing a declaration of candidacy, a candidate shall present to the filing official documents that show that the candidate is registered to vote in the district for which he or she is filing for office. The candidate shall also sign an affidavit to this effect at the time of filing.
(3) The elections official accepting the declaration of candidacy shall sign an affidavit to the effect that documents were presented by the candidate showing that he or she is registered to vote in the district for which he or she is filing for office.
(4) A candidate's name shall not appear on a ballot unless the candidate has complied with this section.
(5) This section does not apply to candidates for the United States senate and United States house of representatives.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 29.04 RCW to read as follows:
Upon request, a county, municipal corporation, or special district shall provide to a prospective candidate the most current information describing its geographical boundaries and the geographical boundaries of its director, council, or commissioner districts.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. Sections 1 and 2 of this act are each recodified as sections in chapter 29.15 RCW on July 1, 1992.