SENATE BILL 5509
State of Washington 52nd Legislature 1991 Regular Session
By Senators Rinehart, Oke, Moore, McDonald and von Reichbauer.
Read first time February 4, 1991. Referred to Committee on Commerce & Labor.
AN ACT Relating to automobile mechanics' service bills; and amending RCW 46.71.043.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. RCW 46.71.043 and 1982 c 62 s 4 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) An automotive repairman shall post in a prominent place on the business premises one or more signs, readily visible to customers, in the following form:
YOUR CUSTOMER RIGHTS
ON REQUEST, YOU ARE ENTITLED BY LAW TO:
(1) A WRITTEN ESTIMATE OF REPAIRS WHICH WILL COST MORE THAN SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS;
(2) RETURN OR INSPECTION OF ALL REPLACED PARTS; ((
(3) AUTHORIZE ANY REPAIRS WHICH EXCEED THE ESTIMATED PRICE BY MORE THAN TEN PERCENT; AND
(4) BE INFORMED OF YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE LAW THAT ARE DESCRIBED IN CHAPTER 46.71 OF THE REVISED CODE OF WASHINGTON.
The first line of each sign shall be in letters not less than one and one-half inch in height and the remaining lines shall be in letters not less than three-quarters of an inch in height.
(2) An automotive repairman shall print at the top of the front page of each bill for service submitted to a customer the form described in subsection (1) of this section. The statement shall be printed in bold-face type that is at least in ten-point size.