SENATE BILL 6175
State of Washington 52nd Legislature 1992 Regular Session
By Senators Moore, Johnson, Talmadge, Rasmussen and Barr
Read first time 01/20/92. Referred to Committee on Governmental Operations.
AN ACT Relating to state government employment; adding new sections to chapter 41.04 RCW; and declaring an emergency.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 41.04 RCW to read as follows:
(1) The number of management employees employed by each agency of state government shall not exceed the actual managerial employment level of the agency on the effective date of this act unless each additional management employee position has received the prior approval of the committee on state government employment established under section 2 of this act.
(2) As used in this section:
(a) "Agency of state government" means all departments, boards, commissions, institutions, and other agencies of the executive branch of state government; and
(b) "Number of management employees" means the number of persons employed by the agency as directors, executive directors, secretaries, administrators, chiefs, or superintendents and any such deputies, assistants, or associates; all regional division, bureau, program, or office administrators or managers and such deputies, assistants, or associates; and all confidential or personal secretaries and administrative or executive assistants to such officials employed by any agency of state government.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 41.04 RCW to read as follows:
(1) The limitation on state agency management employment established by section 1 of this act shall be administered by a committee on state government employment, which is hereby created.
(2) The committee shall consist of the following eight members:
(a) Four persons appointed by, and who shall serve at the pleasure of, the governor. The governor shall designate one of these members to serve as the chair of the committee; and
(b) Four persons appointed by, and who shall serve at the pleasure of, the largest labor organization in the state representing state employees classified under the state civil service system, chapter 41.06 RCW.
(3) Members of the committee shall not receive any additional compensation for their services but shall be reimbursed for travel expenses as provided in RCW 43.03.050 and 43.03.060.
(4) Staff and administrative support to the committee shall be provided by the department of personnel.
(5) The committee shall adopt such rules under chapter 34.05 RCW as are necessary to implement the limitation on state agency employment established by section 1 of this act.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and shall take effect immediately.