SENATE BILL 6187
State of Washington 52nd Legislature 1992 Regular Session
By Senators Nelson, Madsen and A. Smith
Read first time 01/21/92. Referred to Committee on Law & Justice.
AN ACT Relating to service of process; and amending RCW 4.28.080.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. RCW 4.28.080 and 1991 sp.s. c 30 s 28 are each amended to read as follows:
The summons shall be served by delivering a copy thereof, as follows:
(1) If the action be against any county in this state, to the county auditor or, during normal office hours, to the deputy auditor, or in the case of a charter county, summons may be served upon the agent, if any, designated by the legislative authority.
(2) If against any town or incorporated city in the state, to the mayor, city manager, or, during normal office hours, to the mayor's or city manager's designated agent or the city clerk thereof.
(3) If against a school or fire district, to the superintendent or commissioner thereof or by leaving the same in his or her office with an assistant superintendent, deputy commissioner, or business manager during normal business hours.
(4) If against a railroad corporation, to any station, freight, ticket or other agent thereof within this state.
(5) If against a corporation owning or operating sleeping cars, or hotel cars, to any person having charge of any of its cars or any agent found within the state.
(6) If against a domestic insurance company, to any agent authorized by such company to solicit insurance within this state.
(7) If against a foreign or alien insurance company, as provided in chapter 48.05 RCW.
(8) If against a company or corporation doing any express business, to any agent authorized by said company or corporation to receive and deliver express matters and collect pay therefor within this state.
(9) If the suit be against a company or corporation other than those designated in the preceding subdivisions of this section, to the president or other head of the company or corporation, the registered agent, secretary, cashier or managing agent thereof or to the secretary, stenographer or office assistant of the president or other head of the company or corporation, registered agent, secretary, cashier or managing agent.
(10) If the suit be against a foreign corporation or nonresident joint stock company, partnership or association doing business within this state, to any agent, cashier or secretary thereof.
(11) If against a minor under the age of fourteen years, to such minor personally, and also to his or her father, mother, guardian, or if there be none within this state, then to any person having the care or control of such minor, or with whom he or she resides, or in whose service he or she is employed, if such there be.
(12) If against any person for whom a guardian has been appointed for any cause, then to such guardian.
(13) If against a foreign or alien steamship company or steamship charterer, to any agent authorized by such company or charterer to solicit cargo or passengers for transportation to or from ports in the state of Washington.
(14) If against a self‑insurance program regulated by chapter 48.62 RCW, as provided in chapter 48.62 RCW.
(15) If against a marital community, to either spouse personally, or by leaving a copy of the summons at the house of either spouse's usual abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then resident therein. If the spouses are legally separated, each must be served as for personal service on an individual.
(16) In all other cases, to the defendant personally, or by leaving a copy of the summons at the house of his or her usual abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then resident therein.