HOUSE BILL 2217
State of Washington
2020 Regular Session
ByRepresentatives Eslick, Leavitt, Chambers, Callan, Dent, Walsh, Corry, Jenkin, Van Werven, Shewmake, Young, and Wylie
Prefiled 12/06/19.Read first time 01/13/20.Referred to Committee on Rural Development, Agriculture, & Natural Resources.
AN ACT Relating to cottage food product labeling requirements; and amending RCW 69.22.020
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
and 2011 c 281 s 2 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) The director may adopt, by rule, requirements for cottage food operations. These requirements may include, but are not limited to:
(a) The application and renewal of permits under RCW 69.22.030
(b) Inspections as provided under RCW 69.22.040
(c) Sanitary procedures;
(d) Facility, equipment, and utensil requirements;
(e) Labeling specificity beyond the requirements of this section;
(f) Requirements for clean water sources and waste and wastewater disposal; and
(g) Requirements for washing and other hygienic practices.
(2) A cottage food operation must package and properly label for sale to the consumer any food it produces, and the food may not be repackaged, sold, or used as an ingredient in other foods by a food processing plant, or sold by a food service establishment.
(3) A cottage food operation must place on the label of any food it produces or packages, at a minimum, the following information:
(a) The name and ((address
))permit number issued under RCW 69.22.030
of the business of the cottage food operation;
(b) The name of the cottage food product;
(c) The ingredients of the cottage food product, in descending order of predominance by weight;
(d) The net weight or net volume of the cottage food product;
(e) Allergen labeling as specified by the director in rule;
(f) If any nutritional claim is made, appropriate labeling as specified by the director in rule;
(g) The following statement printed in at least the equivalent of eleven-point font size in a color that provides a clear contrast to the background: "Made in a home kitchen that has not been subject to standard inspection criteria."
(4) Cottage food products may only be sold directly to the consumer and may not be sold by internet, mail order, or for retail sale outside the state.
(5) Cottage food products must be stored only in the primary domestic residence.
--- END ---