The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Affected area" means the following counties located in the state of Washington: Adams, Asotin, Benton, Chelan, Columbia, Douglas, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Kittitas, Klickitat, Lincoln, Okanogan, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla, Whitman, and Yakima.
(2) "Affected producer" means any producer who is subject to this chapter.
(3) "Assessment" means the monetary amount established by the commission in accordance with this chapter.
(4) "Commercial channels" means the sale of wheat or barley for use as food, feed, seed, or any industrial or chemurgic use, when sold to any commercial buyer, dealer, processor, cooperative, or to any person, public or private, who resells any wheat or barley or product produced from wheat or barley.
(5) "Commercial quantities" means five hundred or more bushels of wheat or twenty tons of barley produced for market in any calendar year by any producer.
(6) "Commission" means the Washington grain commission.
(7) "Department" means the department of agriculture of the state of Washington.
(8) "Director" means the director of agriculture of the state of Washington or any qualified person or persons designated by the director of agriculture to act concerning some matter under this chapter.
(9) "Grain" or "grains" means wheat and barley and includes all kinds and varieties of wheat and barley grown in the state of Washington.
(10) "Handler" means any person who acts, either as principal, agent, or otherwise, in the processing, selling, marketing, or distributing of wheat or barley that is not produced by the handler. "Handler" does not include a common carrier used to transport an agricultural commodity. "To handle" means to act as a handler.
(11) "Hosting" may include providing meals, refreshments, lodging, transportation, gifts of a nominal value, reasonable and customary entertainment, and normal incidental expenses at meetings or gatherings.
(12) "Mail" or "send," for purposes of any notice relating to rule making, referenda, or elections, means regular mail or electronic distribution, as provided in RCW 34.05.260
for rule making. "Electronic distribution" or "electronically" means distribution by electronic mail or facsimile mail.
(13) "Marketing year" means the twelve-month period beginning June 1st of any year and ending on May 31st of the subsequent year. "Fiscal year" means the twelve-month period beginning July 1st of any year and ending on June 30th of the subsequent year.
(14) "Percent by numbers" means the percent of those persons on the list of affected parties or affected producers.
(15) "Person" includes any individual, firm, corporation, limited liability company, trust, association, partnership, society, or any other organization of individuals, or any unit or agency of local or state government.
(16) "Producer" means any person who is engaged in the business of producing or causing to be produced for market, in commercial quantities, wheat or barley grown in the designated affected area of the state of Washington, and who has been so engaged in at least one of the past three years. "Producer" includes a person who contracts to produce or grow wheat or barley on behalf of a person who retains title to the seed and its resulting agricultural product or the agricultural product delivered for further production or increase. "To produce" means to act as a producer.
(17) "Promotional hosting" means the hosting of individuals and groups of individuals at meetings, meals, and gatherings for the purpose of cultivating trade relations and promoting sales of wheat or barley or processed wheat or barley products.
(18) "Referendum" means a vote by the affected parties or affected producers which is conducted by secret ballot.
(19) "Rule-making proceedings" means rule making under chapter 34.05
(20) "Vacancy" means that a commission member leaves or is removed from a position on the commission prior to the end of a term, or a nomination process for the beginning of a term concludes with no candidates for a position.