(1) The department shall establish an industrial hemp research program in which persons grow or cultivate industrial hemp for researching the feasibility and desirability of industrial hemp production in Washington. The department shall supervise the program through licensure and seed certification, but may not fund growing operations. The department may enter into interagency agreements with other public entities in connection with the program.
(2) The department shall establish a licensure program to allow persons to grow industrial hemp in the state as part of the industrial hemp research program.
(3) The department shall establish an industrial hemp seed certification program in support of the industrial hemp research program. The department's authority to implement this program incorporates the department's authority related to seed certification, inspection, fee setting, and enforcement under chapter 15.49
(4) The programs under this chapter are subject to a grant of necessary permissions, waivers, or other form of valid legal status by the United States drug enforcement administration or other appropriate federal agency pursuant to applicable federal laws relating to industrial hemp.
(5) All requirements in this section are subject to the availability of amounts appropriated for the specific purposes described.