(1) The director may pay a member eligible to receive a retirement allowance or the member's beneficiary, subject to subsection (5) of this section, a lump sum payment in lieu of a monthly benefit if the initial monthly benefit computed in accordance with RCW 41.37.190
would be less than fifty dollars. The lump sum payment shall be the greater of the actuarial equivalent of the monthly benefits or an amount equal to the individual's accumulated contributions plus accrued interest.
(2) A retiree or a beneficiary, subject to subsection (5) of this section, who is receiving a regular monthly benefit of less than fifty dollars may request, in writing, to convert from a monthly benefit to a lump sum payment. If the director approves the conversion, the calculation of the actuarial equivalent of the total estimated regular benefit will be computed based on the beneficiary's age at the time the benefit initially accrued. The lump sum payment will be reduced to reflect any payments received on or after the initial benefit accrual date.
(3) Persons covered under subsection (1) of this section may upon returning to member status reinstate all previous service by depositing the lump sum payment received, with interest as computed by the director, within two years of returning to service or prior to reretiring, whichever comes first. In computing the amount due, the director shall exclude the accumulated value of the normal payments the member would have received while in beneficiary status if the lump sum payment had not occurred.
(4) If a member fails to meet the time limitations under subsection (3) of this section, reinstatement of all previous service will occur if the member pays the amount required under RCW 41.50.165
(2). The amount, however, shall exclude the accumulated value of the normal payments the member would have received while in beneficiary status if the lump sum payment had not occurred.
(5) Only persons entitled to or receiving a service retirement allowance under RCW 41.37.210
or an earned disability allowance under RCW 41.37.230
qualify for participation under this section.
(6) It is the intent of the legislature that any member who receives a settlement under this section shall be deemed to be retired from this system.