(1) A person shall not act as, or offer to act as, or hold himself or herself out to be a home heating fuel service contract provider in this state, nor may a home heating fuel service contract be sold to a consumer in this state, unless the contract provider has a valid registration as a home heating fuel service contract provider issued by the commissioner.
(2) Applicants to be a home heating fuel service contract provider shall make an application to the commissioner upon a form to be furnished by the commissioner. The application must include or be accompanied by the following information and documents:
(a) All basic organizational documents of the home heating fuel service contract provider, including any articles of incorporation, articles of association, partnership agreement, trade name certificate, trust agreement, shareholder agreement, bylaws, and other applicable documents, and all amendments to those documents;
(b) The identities of the contract provider's executive officer or officers directly responsible for the contract provider's home heating fuel service contract business;
(c) Annual financial statements or other financial reports acceptable to the commissioner for the two most recent years which prove that the applicant is solvent and any information the commissioner may require in order to review the current financial condition of the applicant;
(d) An application fee of one hundred dollars, which must be deposited into the general fund; and
(e) Any other pertinent information required by the commissioner.
(3) The commissioner may refuse to issue a registration if the commissioner determines that the home heating fuel service contract provider, or any individual responsible for the conduct of the affairs of the contract provider under subsection (2)(b) of this section, is not competent, trustworthy, or financially responsible.
(4) A registration issued under this section is valid, unless surrendered, suspended, or revoked by the commissioner, or not renewed for so long as the service contract provider continues in business in this state and remains in compliance with this chapter. A registration is subject to renewal annually on July 1st upon application of the home heating fuel service contract provider and payment of a fee of twenty-five dollars, which must be deposited into the general fund. If not so renewed, the registration expires on June 30th next preceding.
(5) A home heating fuel service contract provider shall keep current the information required to be disclosed in its registration under this section by reporting all material changes or additions within thirty days after the end of the month in which the change or addition occurs.