(1) "Buckwheat" means grain which before the removal of dockage consists of fifty percent or more of whole kernels of buckwheat (domestic varieties). The term "buckwheat" in these standards shall not include wild buckwheat.
(2) "Dockage" means all matter other than buckwheat which can be readily removed from a test portion of the original sample by use of the approved device in accordance with the procedures as set down in these standards.
(3) "Foreign material" means all matter other than buckwheat which remains in the sample after the removal of dockage.
(4) "Moisture" means a percentage ascertained by the air oven or by any device and method which gives equivalent results.
(5) "Percentages" means percentages ascertained by weight except in the case of moisture.
(6) "Sample grade buckwheat" means buckwheat which has a commercially objectionable foreign odor; or is musty, sour, heating, or hot; or contains eight or more stones per one thousand grams; or fails to meet the grade requirements of Washington numerical grades, or is otherwise distinctly low quality.
(7) "Stones" means concreted, earthy, or mineral matter or other substances of similar hardness that do not disintegrate readily in water.
(8) "Test weight per bushel" means the weight as determined per Winchester bushel (35.24 liters) or as determined by any device and method which gives equivalent results.
(9) "Type" of buckwheat (large or small) means the result determined by sizing a portion using an 8/64 x 3/4 slotted sieve, and shall be added to and made a part of the grade designation.
(a) The designation shall be "large" when twenty percent or less of the buckwheat passes through an 8/64 x 3/4 slotted sieve.
(b) The designation shall be "small" when more than twenty percent of the buckwheat passes through an 8/64 x 3/4 slotted sieve.
(10) "Weevily" buckwheat shall be buckwheat that is infested with live weevils or other insects injurious to stored buckwheat.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 22.09
RCW. WSR 00-08-041, § 16-213-200, filed 3/30/00, effective 4/30/00; WSR 84-06-036 (Order 1812), § 16-213-200, filed 3/2/84.]