(1) An election or advisory vote shall be conducted by secret ballot under the supervision of the director. Each affected producer and affected handler shall be entitled to one vote.
(2) Elected affected producer members of the board shall be elected by a majority of the votes cast by the affected producers within the affected district or, in the case of an election for an "at large" position, by a majority of the votes cast by affected producers from any district.
If a nominee does not receive a majority of the votes on the first ballot, a runoff election shall be held by mail in a similar manner between the two candidates for such position receiving the largest number of votes.
(3) An advisory vote shall be conducted for affected producer or affected handler board members appointed by the director under the provisions of RCW 15.65.243
. The names of the two candidates receiving the most votes in the advisory vote shall be forwarded to the director for potential appointment to the board. In the event there are only two candidates nominated for a board position, an advisory vote may not be held and the candidates' names shall be forwarded to the director for potential appointment.
(4) Notice of every election or advisory vote for board membership shall be published in a newspaper of general circulation within the affected district not less than ten days in advance of the date of the election or advisory vote. Not less than ten days prior to every election or advisory vote for board membership, the director shall mail a ballot of the candidates to each affected producer and affected handler entitled to vote whose name appears upon the list of such affected producers and affected handlers as maintained by the board pursuant to RCW 15.65.295
. Any other affected producer or affected handler entitled to vote may obtain a ballot by application to the director upon establishing his/her qualifications.
(5) Nonreceipt of a ballot by an affected producer or affected handler shall not invalidate the election or advisory vote of any board member.
[Statutory Authority: Chapters 15.65
RCW. WSR 08-16-014, § 16-529-070, filed 7/25/08, effective 8/25/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 15.65.047
and chapter 34.05
RCW. WSR 05-08-010, § 16-529-070, filed 3/25/05, effective 4/25/05; Order 1, Article II, § F, filed 3/13/75, effective 7/1/75.]