Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Accredited association of producers" means an association of producers which is accredited by the director to be the exclusive negotiating agent for all producer members of the association within a negotiating unit.
(2) "Advance contract" means a contract for purchase and sale of a crop entered into before the crop becomes a growing crop and providing for delivery at or after the harvest of that crop.
(3) "Agricultural products" as used in this chapter means sweet corn and potatoes produced for sale from farms in this state.
(4) "Association of producers" means any association of producers of agricultural products engaged in marketing, negotiating for its members, shipping, or processing as defined in section 15(a) of the Federal Agriculture Marketing Act of 1929 or in section 1 of 42 Stat. 388.
(5) "Department" means the department of agriculture of the state of Washington.
(6) "Director" means the director of the department of agriculture or duly authorized representative.
(7) "Handler" means a processor or a person engaged in the business or practice of:
(a) Acquiring agricultural products from producers or associations of producers for use by a processor;
(b) Processing agricultural products received from producers or associations of producers, provided that a cooperative association owned by producers shall not be a handler except when contracting for crops from producers who are not members of the cooperative association;
(c) Contracting or negotiating contracts or other arrangements, written or oral, with or on behalf of producers or associations of producers with respect to the production or marketing of any agricultural product for use by a processor; or
(d) Acting as an agent or broker for a handler in the performance of any function or act specified in (a), (b), or (c) of this subsection.
(8) "Negotiate" means meeting at reasonable times and for reasonable periods of time commencing at least sixty days before the normal planting date and concluding thirty days prior to the normal planting date to make a serious, fair, and reasonable attempt to reach agreement by acknowledging or refuting with reason points brought up by either party with respect to the price, terms of sale, compensation for products produced under contract, or other terms relating to the production or sale of these products: Provided, That neither party shall be required to disclose proprietary business or financial records or information.
(9) "Negotiating unit" means a negotiating unit approved by the director under the provisions of this chapter and shall include all members of an accredited association of producers supplying qualified commodities to a single processing facility.
(10) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, or any other entity.
(11) "Processor" means any person that purchases agricultural crops from a producer and cans, freezes, dries, dehydrates, cooks, presses, powders, or otherwise processes those crops in any manner for eventual resale. A person who solely cleans, sorts, grades, and packages a farm product for sale without altering the natural condition of the product is not a processor. A person processing any portion of a crop is a processor.
(12) "Producer" means a person engaged in the production of agricultural products as a farmer or planter, including a grower or farmer furnishing inputs, production management, or facilities for growing or raising agricultural products. A producer who is also a handler shall be considered a handler under this chapter.
(13) "Qualified commodity" means agricultural products as defined in subsection (3) of this section.
(14) "Processing facility" means a facility operated by a processor at a single location where qualified commodities purchased from producers are canned, frozen, dried, dehydrated, cooked, pressed, powdered, or otherwise processed in a manner for eventual resale.