(1) School districts must implement this section only in school years for which state funding is appropriated specifically for the purposes of this section and only for the number of days that are funded by the appropriation.
(2) School districts are encouraged to provide at least one day of the ten days of general courses, as defined by the board, on the state paraeducator standards of practice as a professional learning day, where paraeducators collaborate with certified staff and other classified staff on applicable courses.
(3) The paraeducator must complete the general paraeducator certificate within three employed years after completing the fundamental course of study, as follows:
(a) If the fundamental course of study is completed prior to June 30th of a calendar year, then it shall have a completion date calculated on the basis that it was completed on June 30th of the same calendar year regardless of the date of completion; and
(b) If the fundamental course of study is completed July 1st or later in the calendar year, then it shall have a completion date calculated on the basis that it was completed on June 30th of the next calendar year regardless of the date of completion.
(4) Beginning with the 2019-20 school year, school districts must:
(a) Provide paraeducators with general courses on the state paraeducator standards of practice; and
(b) Ensure all paraeducators employed by the district meet the general paraeducator certificate requirements of this section within three years of completing the four-day fundamental course of study.
The district is only required to ensure paraeducators meet the general certificate requirement by the end of the paraeducator's third year of employment in that district as a paraeducator.
(5) To attain the paraeducator general certificate, the paraeducator must complete training that meets in-service education approval standards as written in chapter 181-85
(6) A maximum of one professional growth plan may be completed towards the attainment of the general paraeducator certificate.
(7) A paraeducator who completes continuing education credit hours to meet the English language learner subject matter certificate or special education subject matter certificate may count these hours towards meeting the general paraeducator certificate.
(8) The paraeducator shall be responsible for completing filing requirements with the superintendent of public instruction, in accordance with WAC 179-01-020
, the completion of the general paraeducator certificate.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 28A.413
RCW. WSR 19-21-071, § 179-11-040, filed 10/11/19, effective 11/11/19; WSR 19-13-071, § 179-11-040, filed 6/17/19, effective 7/18/19; WSR 18-16-107, § 179-11-040, filed 7/31/18, effective 8/31/18.]