Contingent on funding, the director shall develop and implement an Atlantic salmon watch program which will include the following elements:
(1) Establish an Atlantic salmon watch coordinator position whose responsibilities include providing a focal point for consolidation of scientific information and implementation of subsections (2) through (5) of this section.
(2) Develop and maintain a system to record and report observations and catch of Atlantic salmon in waters of the state, including modification of the recreational catch data reporting system, the commercial fish ticket reporting system, education of volunteers to identify and report spawning sites, and monitoring of selected watersheds to detect spawning Atlantic salmon.
(3) Model the impact of Atlantic salmon on naturally produced and cultured finfish stocks by estimates of identification of Atlantic salmon standing crop or populations in the wild, detailed life history requirements, and estimates of niche overlap.
(4) Coordination with marine finfish aquatic farmers under WAC 220-370-110
for the reporting of escapes of Atlantic salmon from marine aquatic farming locations, and adjustment of escape prevention plans filed with the department under WAC 220-370-100
to prevent future escapes.
(5) Provide public information on recreational opportunity in the event of an escape, assist the public in understanding the effect of Atlantic salmon escapes on native populations, and provide a public contact for all department efforts regarding Atlantic salmon.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 77.04.012
, and 77.12.047
. WSR 17-05-112 (Order 17-04), amended and recodified as § 220-370-140, filed 2/15/17, effective 3/18/17. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047
. WSR 03-02-047 (Order 02-309), § 220-76-140, filed 12/24/02, effective 7/1/03.]