(1) Waters of the state defined. For the purpose of this regulation, the term "waters of the state" wherever used, shall include all streams and springs, and all bodies of surface and of groundwater, whether natural or artificial, within the boundaries of the state.
(2) Privies shall be fly-proof. No privy, cesspool, septic tank, or other receptacle for human excrement shall be constructed, maintained or used so that flies have or may have access to the excrementitious matter contained therein.
(3) Privies shall not drain in any waters of the state. No privy, urinal, cesspool, septic tank or other receptacle for human excrement shall be constructed, maintained or used which directly or indirectly drains or discharges over or upon the surface of the ground, or into any waters of the state either directly or indirectly; unless the contents of such urinal, cesspool, septic tank or receptacle for human excrement are subjected to some recognized sterilization treatment approved by the department of health.
(4) Privies shall be kept clean. All privies, urinals, cesspools, septic tanks or other receptacles for human excrement shall be cleansed at sufficiently frequent intervals to prevent the contents from overflowing.
(5) Treating excreta on watersheds of public water supplies. All schools, hamlets, villages, towns or industrial settlements which are now located or may be hereafter located on the watershed of any public water supply, not provided with a sewerage system, shall provide and maintain a reasonable system approved by the state director of health for collecting and disposing of all accumulations of human excrement within their respective jurisdiction or control.
(6) Connection with sewer. No privy, cesspool, septic tank or similar receptacle for human excrement shall be constructed, maintained or used on premises where a sewer is at all accessible which is part of a sewerage system from which sewage is lawfully discharged into the waters of the state.
(7) Use of human excreta for fertilizer prohibited. The contents of privies, cesspools, septic tanks or other receptacles for human excrement shall not be placed upon the surface of the ground or be used for fertilizing purposes for crops or gardens.
(8) No privy near foodstuffs. No privy, urinal, toilet or other receptacle for human excrement shall be constructed, maintained or used in any room, or have direct connection with any room wherein any kind of exposed foods or foodstuffs are prepared, stored or handled.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.20.050
. WSR 92-02-019 (Order 225B), § 246-203-100, filed 12/23/91, effective 1/23/92; WSR 91-02-051 (Order 124B), recodified as § 246-203-100, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91; Regulation .50.100, effective 3/11/60.]