(1) Standards for radioactive air emissions in the state of Washington are contained in WAC 173-480-040
, and 173-480-060
. Additional standards for emissions of radionuclides other than radon from United States Department of Energy facilities and for radionuclide emissions from federal facilities other than United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) licensees are contained in 40 C.F.R. Part 61, subparts H and I. Additional standards for NRC licensees are contained in 10 C.F.R. 20.1101 (effective August 24, 1998). In accordance with WAC 173-480-050
(2), the department shall enforce the most stringent standard in effect, notwithstanding any agreement between EPA and any other agency, including those agreements made pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 7412 (d)(9).
(2) In addition to the radioactive air emission standards of subsection (1) of this section, the department's radioactive materials licensees shall comply with the limitations on radioactive air emissions contained in WAC 246-221-070
(3) All new construction and significant modifications of emission units commenced after August 10, 1988 (the date this chapter originally became effective) shall utilize BARCT (see Appendix B).
(4) All existing emission units and nonsignificant modifications shall utilize ALARACT (see Appendix C).
(5) In order to implement these standards, the department may set limits on emission rates for specific radionuclides from specific emission units and set requirements and limitations on the operation of the emission unit(s) as specified in a license.
(6) All emissions of radionuclides, including those due to emergency conditions resulting from startup, shutdown, maintenance activities, or process upsets are subject to the standards of this section and, therefore, subject to the enforcement actions of WAC 246-247-100
[Statutory Authority: RCW 70.98.050
. WSR 18-01-083, § 246-247-040, filed 12/15/17, effective 1/15/18. Statutory Authority: RCW 70.98.050
. WSR 04-18-094, § 246-247-040, filed 9/1/04, effective 10/2/04. Statutory Authority: Chapters 70.98
RCW and chapter 173-480 WAC. WSR 94-07-010, § 246-247-040, filed 3/4/94, effective 4/4/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.040
. WSR 91-02-049 (Order 121), recodified as § 246-247-040, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 70.98.080
. WSR 87-01-031 (Order 2450), § 402-80-050, filed 12/11/86.]