(1) The department shall classify the beach as open when the following three conditions are met:
(a) The marine water covering a recreational shellfish beach shall not exceed a geometric mean value of fourteen fecal coliform bacteria/100 ml of water. In addition, not more than ten percent of the individual water samples may exceed forty-three fecal coliform bacteria/100 ml of water. The geometric mean value shall be calculated on no less than fifteen samples for each water quality station;
(b) Upon completion of a sanitary survey, there are no major sources of pollution of public health significance identified as affecting the beach; and
(c) Natural and synthetic toxin levels shall not exceed established standards.
(2) The department shall classify the beach as conditionally open when standards for open criteria are met during a well-defined and predictable time period, such as dry weather months. Use of the conditionally open classification shall be limited to beaches where sufficient data are available to establish the beach meets the open criteria for well-defined time periods.
(3) The department shall classify a beach as closed for failing to meet the open or conditionally open standards and the beach shall not be used for recreational shellfish harvest.
(4) The department shall list a recreational shellfish beach as unclassified until complete sanitary data are available. The department shall list initially the beach as unclassified on the beach inventory.
(5) In the event an open or conditionally open beach is suspected of being impacted by a source of pollution or other threat to public health, the department shall implement an emergency closure immediately. The closure shall remain in effect until the department's investigation verifies the beach is safe for recreational shellfish harvesting.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.20.050
. WSR 91-02-051 (Order 124B), recodified as § 246-280-030, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91. Statutory Authority: Chapter 90.70
RCW. WSR 89-20-020 (Order 335), § 248-52-030, filed 9/27/89, effective 10/28/89.]