(1) Training requirements: To administer inhalation minimal sedation a dentist must have completed a course containing a minimum of fourteen hours of either predoctoral dental school or postgraduate instruction in inhalation minimal sedation.
(2) Procedures for administration: Inhalation minimal sedation must be administered under the close supervision of a person qualified under this chapter and dental hygienists as provided in chapter 18.29
(a) When administering inhalation minimal sedation, a second individual must be on the office premises and able to immediately respond to any request from the person administering the inhalation minimal sedation;
(b) The patient must be continuously observed while inhalation minimal sedation is administered.
(3) Equipment and emergency medications: All offices in which inhalation minimal sedation is administered must comply with the recordkeeping and equipment standards listed in WAC 246-817-724
(4) Dental records must contain documentation in the chart of either nitrous oxide, oxygen or any other inhalation sedation agent dispensed.
(a) In the case of nitrous oxide sedation only "N2O used" is required.
(b) Other inhalation agents require a dose record noting the time each concentration or agent was used.
(5) Continuing education: A dentist who administers inhalation sedation to patients must participate in seven hours of continuing education or equivalent every five years.
(a) The education must include instruction in one or more of the following areas:
(iv) Inhalation analgesia;
(v) Patient evaluation;
(vi) Patient monitoring; and
(vii) Medical emergencies.
(b) In addition to education requirements in (a) of this subsection, the dentist must obtain health care provider basic life support (BLS), or advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) certification. Hourly credits earned from certification in BLS or ACLS courses may not be used to meet the education requirements in (a) of this subsection. However, the hourly credits earned in BLS or ACLS certification may be used to meet the requirements of WAC 246-817-440
to renew the dentist license.
(6) A permit of authorization is not required.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.0365
. WSR 16-06-106, § 246-817-740, filed 3/1/16, effective 4/1/16; WSR 09-04-042, § 246-817-740, filed 1/30/09, effective 3/2/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.035
. WSR 95-21-041, § 246-817-740, filed 10/10/95, effective 11/10/95.]