(1) A dental anesthesia assistant must be certified under chapter 18.350
RCW and WAC 246-817-205
(2) A dental anesthesia assistant may only accept delegation from an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or dental anesthesiologist who holds a valid Washington state general anesthesia permit.
(3) Under close supervision, the dental anesthesia assistant may:
(a) Initiate and discontinue an intravenous line for a patient being prepared to receive intravenous medications, sedation, or general anesthesia; and
(b) Adjust the rate of intravenous fluids infusion only to maintain or keep the line patent or open.
(4) Under direct visual supervision, the dental anesthesia assistant may:
(a) Draw up and prepare medications;
(b) Follow instructions to deliver medications into an intravenous line upon verbal command;
(c) Adjust the rate of intravenous fluids infusion beyond a keep open rate;
(d) Adjust an electronic device to provide medications, such as an infusion pump;
(e) Administer emergency medications to a patient in order to assist the oral and maxillofacial surgeon or dental anesthesiologist in an emergency.
(5) The responsibility for monitoring a patient and determining the selection of the drug, dosage, and timing of all anesthetic medications rests solely with the supervising oral and maxillofacial surgeon or dental anesthesiologist.
(6) A certified dental anesthesia assistant shall notify the commission in writing, on a form provided by the department, of any changes in his or her supervisor.
(a) The commission must be notified of the change prior to the certified dental anesthesia assistant accepting delegation from another supervisor. The certified dental anesthesia assistant may not practice under the authority of this chapter unless he or she has on file with the commission such form listing the current supervisor.
(b) A supervisor must be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or dental anesthesiologist who holds a valid Washington state general anesthesia permit.
(c) For the purposes of this subsection "any change" means the addition, substitution, or deletion of supervisor from whom the certified dental anesthesia assistant is authorized to accept delegation.