(1) The dentist shall discuss with the patient educating them of risks associated with the use of opioids, including the risk of dependence and overdose. The dentist shall document such notification in the patient record.
(2) Patient notification must occur, at a minimum, at the following points of treatment:
(a) The first issuance of a prescription for an opioid; and
(b) The transition between phase of treatment, as follows:
(i) Acute nonoperative pain or acute perioperative pain to subacute pain; and
(ii) Subacute pain to chronic pain.
(3) Patient written notification must include information regarding:
(a) Pain management alternatives to opioid medications as provided in RCW 69.50.317
(1)(b) and WAC 246-817-908
(b) The safe and secure storage of opioid prescriptions;
(c) The proper disposal of unused opioid medication including, but not limited to, the availability of recognized drug take-back programs; and
(d) The patient's right to refuse an opioid prescription or order for any reason. If the patient indicates a desire to not receive an opioid, the dentist shall document the patient's request and avoid prescribing or ordering opioids, unless the request is revoked by the patient.
(4) The requirements in this section do not apply to the administration of an opioid including, but not limited to, the following situations:
(a) Emergent care;
(b) Where patient pain represents a significant health risk;
(c) Procedures involving the administration of anesthesia;
(d) When the patient is unable to grant or revoke consent; or
(e) MAT for substance use disorders.
(5) If the patient is under eighteen years old or is not competent, the discussion required by subsection (1) of this section must include the patient's parent, guardian, or other person identified in RCW 7.70.065
, unless otherwise provided by law.
(6) The requirements of this section may be satisfied with a document provided by the department of health.
(7) The requirements of this section may be satisfied by a dentist designating any individual who holds a credential issued by a disciplining authority under RCW 18.130.040
to provide the information.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.0365
, and 69.50.317
. WSR 20-04-080, § 246-817-907, filed 2/4/20, effective 3/6/20. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.002
and 2017 c 297. WSR 19-02-043, § 246-817-907, filed 12/26/18, effective 1/26/19.]