For the purpose of these rules and regulations, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Authenticated" or "authentication" means authorization of a written entry in a record by means of a signature which shall include, minimally, first initial, last name, and title.
(2) "Controlled substance" means those drugs, substances or immediate precursors listed in Schedule I through V, chapter 69.50
RCW, State Uniform Controlled Substance Act, as now or hereafter amended.
(3) "Drug" means any product referenced in RCW 18.64.011
(3) as now or hereafter amended.
(4) "Drug administration" means an act in which a single dose of a prescribed drug or biological is given to a patient by an authorized person in accordance with all laws and regulations governing such acts. The complete act of administration entails removing an individual dose from a previously dispensed, properly labeled container (including a unit dose container) reviewing it with a verified transcription, a direct copy, or the original medical practitioner's orders, giving the individual dose to the proper patient, and properly recording the time and dose given.
(5) "Drug dispensing" means an act entailing the interpretation of an order for a drug or biological and, pursuant to that order, proper selection, measuring, labeling, packaging, and issuance of the drug for a patient or for a service unit of the facility.
(6) "Hospital" means any institution licensed pursuant to chapters 70.41
RCW or designated pursuant to RCW 72.23.020
(7) "Hospital pharmacy" means that portion of a hospital which is engaged in the manufacture, production, preparation, dispensing, sale, and/or distribution of drugs, components, biologicals, chemicals, devices and other materials used in the diagnosis and treatment of injury, illness and diseases; and which is licensed by the state board of pharmacy pursuant to the Washington State Pharmacy Practice Act, chapter 18.64
(8) "Immediate supervision" means visual and/or physical proximity that insure adequate safety and controls.
(9) "Investigational drug" means any article which has not been approved for use in the United States, but for which an investigational drug application (IND) has been approved by the FDA.
(10) "Nurse" means a registered nurse or a licensed practical nurse licensed pursuant to chapters 18.88
(11) "Practitioner" means any person duly authorized by law or rule in the state of Washington to prescribe drugs in RCW 18.64.011
(12) "Pharmacist" means a person duly licensed by the state board of pharmacy to engage in the practice of pharmacy.
(13) "Pharmacy" means every place properly licensed by the board of pharmacy where the practice of pharmacy is conducted.
(14) "Pharmacy Assistant Level A and Level B" means persons certified under chapter 18.64A
(15) "Physician" means a doctor of medicine or a doctor of osteopathy licensed to practice in the state of Washington.
(16) "Practice of pharmacy" means the definition given in RCW 18.64.011
(11) now or hereafter amended.
(17) "Protocol" means a written set of guidelines.
(18) "Registered nurse" means an individual licensed under the provisions of chapter 18.88
RCW, regulating the practice of registered nursing in the state of Washington.
(19) "Self-administration of drugs" means that a patient administers or takes his/her own drugs from properly labeled containers: Provided, That the facility maintains the responsibility for seeing that the drugs are used correctly and that the patient is responding appropriately.
(20) "Shall" means that compliance with regulation is mandatory.
(21) "Should" means that compliance with a regulation or standard is recommended.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.64.005
and chapter 18.64A
RCW. WSR 91-18-057 (Order 191B), recodified as § 246-873-010, filed 8/30/91, effective 9/30/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.64.005
(12). WSR 82-12-041 (Order 168), § 360-17-010, filed 5/28/82. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.64.005
(11). WSR 81-16-036 (Order 162), § 360-17-010, filed 7/29/81.]