Applicants must meet one of the following criteria to be eligible for the examination.
(1) Completion of an approved postsecondary educational program for animal or veterinary technology.
(a) Completion of a program for animal or veterinary technology approved by the Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities (CVTEA) of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). The board approves all institutions accredited by, and in good standing with, the AVMA.
(b) Completion of a program for animal or veterinary technology approved by the Animal Health Technologist/Veterinary Technician Program Accreditation Committee (AHT/VTPAC) of the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA). The board approves all institutions accredited by, and in good standing with, the CVMA.
(c) Other institutions applying for board approval must meet the accreditation standards of the CVTEA. It is the responsibility of the institution to apply for approval and of a student to ascertain whether or not a school has been approved by the board.
(d) The examination may be taken no sooner than six months before graduation from the approved course of instruction.
(2) Graduation from a two-year curriculum in animal health or veterinary technology which is not accredited by the CVTEA or AHT/VTPAC plus a minimum of thirty-six months of full-time experience under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian(s) who must attest to the completion of that experience.
(3) Award of a D.V.M. or V.M.D. degree or equivalent from an American Veterinary Medical Association accredited or listed college of veterinary medicine.
(4) Registration, certification, or licensure as an animal health or veterinary technician in one or more states and thirty-six months of full-time experience under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian(s).
(5) Completion of a course in veterinary technician education as a member of the United States military and completion of a tour of active duty as a veterinary technician or specialist.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.92.030
(2) and 18.92.128
. WSR 15-14-008, § 246-935-060, filed 6/18/15, effective 7/19/15. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.92.030
. WSR 09-21-022, § 246-935-060, filed 10/9/09, effective 11/9/09; WSR 02-02-046, § 246-935-060, filed 12/27/01, effective 1/27/02; WSR 93-12-126 (Order 368B), § 246-935-060, filed 6/2/93, effective 7/3/93; WSR 91-24-098 (Order 221B), § 246-935-060, filed 12/4/91, effective 1/4/92; WSR 91-02-060 (Order 108B), recodified as § 246-935-060, filed 12/28/90, effective 1/31/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.92.015
. WSR 83-19-055 (Order PL 445), § 308-156-055, filed 9/19/83.]