The following definitions apply to the military sales practices rules, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) "Active duty" means full-time duty in the active military service of the United States and includes members of the reserve component, such as national guard or reserve, while serving under published orders for active duty or full-time training. This term does not include members of the reserve component who are performing active duty or active duty for training under military calls or orders specifying periods of fewer than thirty-one calendar days.
(2) "Department of Defense (DOD) personnel" means all active duty service members and all civilian employees, including nonappropriated fund employees and special government employees, of the Department of Defense.
(3) "Door-to-door" means a solicitation or sales method whereby an insurance producer proceeds randomly or selectively from household to household without a prior specific appointment.
(4) "General advertisement" means an advertisement having as its sole purpose the promotion of the reader's or viewer's interest in the concept of insurance or the promotion of an insurer or insurance producer.
(5) "Insurer" means an insurance company, as defined in RCW 48.01.050
, that provides life insurance products for sale in this state. The term "insurer" also includes fraternal benefit societies, as defined at RCW 48.36A.010
. Whenever the term "insurer," "policy," or "certificate" is used in these military sales practices rules, it includes insurers and fraternal benefit societies and applies to all insurance policies, benefit contracts, and certificates of life insurance issued by them.
(6) "Known" or "knowingly" means, depending on its use in WAC 284-30-870
, that the insurer or insurance producer had actual awareness, or in the exercise of ordinary care should have known at the time of the act or practice complained of that the person being solicited is either:
(a) A service member; or
(b) A service member with a pay grade of E-4 or below.
(7) "Life insurance" has the meaning set forth in RCW 48.11.020
(8) "Military installation" means any federally owned, leased, or operated base, reservation, post, camp, building, or other facility to which service members are assigned for duty, including barracks, transient housing, and family quarters.
(9) "MyPay" means the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) web-based system that enables service members to process certain discretionary pay transactions or provide updates to personal information data elements without using paper forms.
(10) "Service member" means any active duty officer (commissioned and warrant) or any enlisted member of the United States armed forces.
(11) "Side fund" means a fund or reserve that is part of or is attached to a life insurance policy or certificate (except for individually issued annuities) by rider, endorsement, or other mechanism which accumulates premium or deposits with interest or by other means. The term does not include:
(a) Accumulated or cash value or secondary guarantees provided by a universal life policy;
(b) Cash values provided by a whole life policy which are subject to standard nonforfeiture law for life insurance; or
(c) A premium deposit fund which:
(i) Contains only premiums paid in advance which accumulate at interest;
(ii) Imposes no penalty for withdrawal;
(iii) Does not permit funding beyond future required premiums;
(iv) Is not marketed or intended as an investment; and
(v) Does not carry a commission, either paid or calculated.
(12) "Specific appointment" means a prearranged appointment that has been agreed upon by both parties and is definite as to place and time.
(13) "United States armed forces" means all components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.