(1) You must make sure workers use extreme care when using rope descent equipment around electrical service, heat sources, and turbulent areas, such as air vents.
(2) You must connect the seatboard or boatswain's chair to the descent device with a manual- or auto-locking carabiner.
(3) You must make sure workers are positioned in the seatboard or boatswain's chair before being suspended.
(4) You must make sure workers do not reach more than six feet in any direction as measured from a centerline straight down from where the suspension rope bears on the building.
(5) You must make sure workers do not descend rapidly, swing excessively, or stop suddenly.
(6) You must make sure that, in addition to the suspended worker, there is one other person at the job site who is skilled in using the rope descent system and rescue procedures.
(7) You must make sure you do not exceed a three hundred-foot height of descent as measured from grade or building setback unless the windows cannot be safely and practicably accessed by other means.
(8) You must make sure your site-specific service plan addresses the following hazards for descents over one hundred thirty feet as measured from grade or building setback:
(a) Sudden weather changes, such as wind gusts, micro bursts, or tunneling wind currents;
(b) Inability of the rope descent system to function without using excessive force;
(c) Workers suspended for long periods of time;
(d) Rerigging and movement of main suspension and safety lines.
(9) You must stabilize workers suspended from a rope descent system whenever the descent is higher than one hundred thirty feet, as measured from grade or building setback.
(10) You must prohibit workers from working when wind speed makes any stabilization equipment ineffective.
Provisions for stabilizing workers may include:
1. Continuous stabilization, such as mullion tracks;
2. Intermittent stabilization, such as detent pins/buttons;
3. Work station stabilization, such as suction cups.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010
, and chapter 49.17
RCW. WSR 14-09-095, § 296-878-20010, filed 4/22/14, effective 7/1/14. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010
. WSR 10-08-069, § 296-878-20010, filed 4/6/10, effective 6/1/10; WSR 02-22-027, § 296-878-20010, filed 10/28/02, effective 1/1/03.]