The definitions set forth below, and in chapters 46.04
, 46.85, and 46.87
RCW, apply throughout this chapter.
For the purpose of this code, the terms "apportioned," "proration," "prorate," "International Registration Plan (IRP)," and "proportional registration" are synonymous.
(1) "Bus" (BS) means every motor vehicle designed for carrying more than five passengers and the driver and used primarily for the transportation of people.
(2) "Combination of vehicles" means a power unit used in combination with trailer(s), semitrailer(s) and/or converter gear.
(3) "Department" means the department of licensing, state of Washington.
(4) "Dump truck" (DT) means a truck whose contents are unloaded by tilting the truck bed backward with the tailgate open.
(5) "Interstate or interjurisdiction movement" means vehicle movement between or through two or more jurisdictions.
(6) "Intrastate or intrajurisdiction movement" means vehicle movement within a single jurisdiction, from one point within that jurisdiction to another point within the same jurisdiction.
(7) "Latest purchase cost or price" means the actual purchase cost or price, if reasonable, for a vehicle paid by the current owner, including the value of any trade-in or other valuable considerations, cost of accessories and modifications but excluding taxes, transportation or shipping costs, and preparatory or delivery costs. Reasonable purchase cost is considered to be the value of the vehicle as determined from guide books, reports or compendiums of value recognized in the automotive industry. All values are to be expressed in United States dollars.
(8) "Lessee" means a person, firm or corporation which has legal possession and control of a vehicle owned by another under the terms of a lease agreement.
(9) "Lessor" means a person, firm or corporation which, under the terms of a lease, grants the legal right of possession, control of and responsibility for the operation of the vehicle to another person, firm or corporation.
(10) "Owner-operator" means an equipment lessor who leases their vehicle with driver to a carrier.
(11) "Reciprocity jurisdiction" means a jurisdiction with which the state of Washington extends vehicle license reciprocity as provided for in chapter 46.85
(12) "Reporting period" means the period of twelve consecutive months prior to July 1st. If the registration year begins in July, August, or September, the reporting period will be the previous July 1st through June 30th in the prior calendar year.
(13) "Road tractor" (RT) means every motor vehicle designed without a fifth wheel and used for drawing other vehicles by use of a ball hitch and so constructed as to carry part of the weight of a vehicle or load so drawn (commonly referred to as a mobile home toter).
(14) "Tractor" (TR) means every motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles but not so constructed as to carry a load other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and load so drawn.
(15) "Trip lease" means a lease of vehicle(s) to a carrier (lessee) for a single interjurisdictional movement. The term may also include a similar intrajurisdictional movement where such movement is authorized under the laws of the jurisdiction.
(16) "Truck" (TK) means every motor vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property (the maximum gross weight for solo trucks with three axles is 54,000 pounds) under RCW 46.87.040
(17) "Truck tractor" (TT) means every motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles but so constructed as to carry a load thereon in addition to a part of the weight of the vehicle and load so drawn (dromedary).
(18) "Utility trailer" means any full trailer or semitrailer constructed and used solely for the purpose of carrying property and not to exceed a gross weight of 6,000 pounds.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 16-03-071, § 308-91-030, filed 1/19/16, effective 2/19/16. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.87.010
. WSR 00-01-150, § 308-91-030, filed 12/21/99, effective 1/21/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.87.010
(2). WSR 94-13-012, § 308-91-030, filed 6/2/94, effective 7/3/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
(2). WSR 91-06-093, § 308-91-030, filed 3/6/91, effective 4/6/91; WSR 90-16-072, § 308-91-030, filed 7/30/90, effective 9/1/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.87.010
(1) and (2) and 46.87.020
. WSR 89-07-036 (Order PFT 89-04), § 308-91-030, filed 3/10/89. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.87.010
and chapters 46.87
RCW. WSR 88-06-061 (Order PFT 8803), § 308-91-030, filed 3/2/88. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 84-02-019 (Order 739 DOL), § 308-91-030, filed 12/28/83.]