(1) When ownership of a vehicle issued a law enforcement memorial license plate(s) changes, what happens to the plate(s)? The special license plate owner may relinquish the plate(s) to the new vehicle owner or remove the plate(s) from the vehicle for transfer to a replacement vehicle. License plate transfer fees apply.
(2) Will any new fees be charged when the law enforcement memorial license plate(s) are transferred? If the registration expiration date for the new vehicle is later than registration expiration date of the previous vehicle, an additional fee for the law enforcement memorial license plate will be charged at the rate of one-twelfth of the annual law enforcement memorial license plate(s) fee for each additional month and partial month beyond the registration expiration date of the previous vehicle. If the new registration expiration date is sooner than the previous registration expiration date, a refund will not be made for the remaining registration period.
(3) May law enforcement memorial license number plates be replaced with the same number if they become lost, defaced, or destroyed?
Yes. Upon the loss, defacement, or destruction of one or both plate(s), the owner must make application for new law enforcement memorial or other license plate(s) and pay the fees described in RCW 46.17.200
. See subsection (4) of this section.
(4) When replacing law enforcement memorial license plate(s), is same license plate number and letter combination issued?
Yes. If the vehicle owner requests and pays the fees in RCW 46.16A.200
, the law enforcement memorial license plate(s) will be replaced with the same number and letter combination as shown on the vehicle computer record.
(5) Will my license plates that have been reported stolen be replaced with new license plates with the same number and letter combination? If the license plate(s) have been reported as stolen or if the department record indicates the plate has been stolen, the same number and letter combination will not be issued. This is a law enforcement issue for the protection of the public.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 15-10-005, § 308-96A-076, filed 4/22/15, effective 5/23/15. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.316
. WSR 05-01-003, § 308-96A-076, filed 12/1/04, effective 1/3/05.]