(1) What license plates are required to be surrendered?
Only license plates authorized under RCW 46.16.301
, and 46.16.595
and dealer/manufacturer plates are required to be surrendered under chapter 308-66
WAC. Wreckers and scrap processors, hulk haulers must dispose of license plates according to WAC 308-63-070
(7) and 308-63-120
(2) Where do I surrender my Washington vehicle license plates? You may surrender your Washington vehicle license plates in the following manner:
(a) Take them to your local vehicle licensing office;
(b) Mail them to the department of licensing in Olympia, Washington.
(3) What do Washington vehicle licensing offices do with surrendered license plates?
(a) License plates surrendered to Washington vehicle licensing offices will be invalidated to make them unusable;
(b) Washington vehicle licensing offices will recycle or otherwise dispose of the invalidated plates that have been surrendered.
(4) If I choose to dispose of the Washington vehicle license plates that are no longer valid, how is this done? Other than license plates indicated in subsection (1) of this section, you may dispose of your invalid Washington vehicle license plates in the following ways:
(a) Remove or invalidate the month and year tabs and bend the plates so they are no longer usable;
(b) Shred the entire license plate; or
(c) After the month and year tab have been removed or invalidated, recycle the license plate in such a way that it cannot be confused with a valid Washington license plate.
(5) How does the department dispose of my surrendered Washington vehicle license plate?
Once the department has received the Washington vehicle license plate, it must surrender it to the department of general administration for disposal under RCW 43.19.1919
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 02-11-079, § 308-96A-098, filed 5/14/02, effective 6/14/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 99-19-026, § 308-96A-098, filed 9/8/99, effective 10/9/99.]