(1) What determines if I pay the higher gross weight fees?
If the declared gross weight of the power unit exceeds forty thousand pounds AND the power unit will be towing a trailer, the power unit must be licensed with a combination (CMB) or farm combination (FCB) use class. This results in higher gross weight fees.
(2) How do I change to a CMB or FCB use class during the registration year?
If you choose to change the use class of your power unit during the registration year, you will need to:
(a) Pay the additional gross weight fees for the remaining months of the gross weight license period currently in effect; and
(b) Immediately attach the combination decals between the lower bolt holes on the front and rear license plates.
If the license plates were issued prior to January 1, 1987, new plates are required.
(3) What if I change to a CMB or FCB use class at renewal time?
If you change use class at renewal time, you will pay the gross weight fees for the new registration year. Fees are not due for the remainder of the current registration year. If the plates were issued prior to January 1, 1987, new plates are required. The combination decals assigned may not be attached to the license plates until the first day of the new registration year, when the new use class is effective.
(4) What if I change from CMB or FCB to COM or FAR?
If you change from CMB or FCB to COM or FAR, you will need to purchase new plates. Excess gross weight fees may be used to purchase additional months of gross weight to the end of the current registration year.
(5) If I sell the power unit with a CMB or FCB use class, will the new owner need to purchase new plates?
If the new owner retains the CMB or FCB use class, new plates are not required. If the use class is changed to commercial (COM) or farm (FAR), new plates are required.
(6) If new plates are required because of the change of use class or because they were issued prior to January 1, 1987, am I required to pay replacement plate fees?
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 15-10-005, § 308-96A-202, filed 4/22/15, effective 5/23/15. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 01-12-099, § 308-96A-202, filed 6/6/01, effective 7/7/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 99-01-133, § 308-96A-202, filed 12/21/98, effective 1/21/99.]