(1) If my gross weight is insufficient, am I required to increase it? Yes, you are required to maintain sufficient gross weight to cover the weight of the vehicle and its load up to the legal weight limit of your vehicle. Any amount above the legal limit of the gross vehicle weight rating requires an overweight permit from the department of transportation.
(2) How do I increase my gross weight? You may purchase additional gross weight by applying at any Washington vehicle license office and surrendering the current gross weight license.
(3) What would the gross weight expiration date be when I increase the declared gross weight of my vehicle?
The new gross weight expiration date remains the same as the current gross weight license. You may choose to purchase additional months of gross weight not to exceed the vehicle registration expiration date.
(4) What is the start date of the new gross weight license? The start date of the new gross weight license remains the same as the current gross weight license.
(5) Will I receive credit for gross weight fees that I have already paid? Yes. You will receive dollar value credit for the number of months from the start date of the new gross weight license to the expiration of the current gross weight license. Credit is given for the gross weight that has already been purchased:
(a) You must surrender the current gross weight license in order to receive credit.
(b) If the gross weight license is lost, stolen or destroyed, you must sign an affidavit of loss and a statement that the gross weight license has not been transferred to another vehicle.
(c) You will not receive credit for the monthly gross weight permit fees as defined in RCW 46.16.135
(6) How many months gross weight must I purchase when I increase the declared gross weight on my vehicle? You must purchase at least as many months as are remaining on the current gross weight license.
Credit will be given as provided in subsection (5) of this section. You will also be charged for the permit fees as defined in RCW 46.16.135
, when applicable, in addition to all other fees required to license the vehicle.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 02-11-095, § 308-96A-205, filed 5/20/02, effective 6/20/02; WSR 99-01-133, § 308-96A-205, filed 12/21/98, effective 1/21/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.17.060
. WSR 92-02-100, § 308-96A-205, filed 1/2/92, effective 2/2/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.600
. WSR 87-12-023 (Order TL/RG-34), § 308-96A-205, filed 5/28/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.135
. WSR 86-10-040 (Order TL/RG 24), § 308-96A-205, filed 5/5/86; Order MV-328, § 308-96A-205, filed 7/24/75.]