(1) May I decrease the declared gross weight on my vehicle?
Yes. If you decrease the declared gross weight, you must surrender the current gross weight license.
(2) When may I decrease the declared gross weight on my vehicle? Any time during the registration year. However, decreasing the declared gross weight may result in a forfeiture of gross weight fees already paid. Unless you have been advised by law enforcement to decrease your declared gross weight, you may wait to decrease it until renewing your gross weight license.
(3) What would the gross weight expiration date be when I decrease the declared gross weight of my vehicle? The expiration date of the gross weight license would remain the same as the current gross weight license.
(4) What will be the start date of the new gross weight license? The start date of the gross weight license would remain the same as the current gross weight license.
(5) Will I receive credit for gross weight fees that I have already paid? You will receive dollar value credit for the number of months remaining and at the rate of the declared gross weight previously purchased for the period between the effective date of the change and the expiration date of the previously issued gross weight license. At the time of application, any excess credit accrued as a result of such change may be applied toward the payment of gross weight license fees for the gross weight license months between the previous gross weight license expiration date and the registration expiration date:
(a) Credit may not be carried over to the next registration year and any credit still remaining after decreasing gross weight to the registration expiration date shall be forfeited;
(b) You must surrender the current gross weight license in order to receive credit;
(c) If the gross weight license is lost, stolen or destroyed, you must sign an affidavit of loss and a statement that the gross weight license has not been transferred to another vehicle;
(d) You will not receive credit for the monthly gross weight permit fees as defined in RCW 46.16.135
(6) May the credit of gross weight be applied to any other fee? No it may only be applied to gross weight.
(7) How many months gross weight must I purchase when I decrease the declared gross weight of my vehicle?
You will need to purchase the number of months remaining on the current gross weight license. Credit will be given as provided in subsection (5) of this section. You will also be charged for the permit fees as defined in RCW 46.16.135
, when applicable, in addition to all other fees required to license the vehicle.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 02-11-095, § 308-96A-206, filed 5/20/02, effective 6/20/02; WSR 99-01-133, § 308-96A-206, filed 12/21/98, effective 1/21/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.17.060
. WSR 92-02-100, § 308-96A-206, filed 1/2/92, effective 2/2/92.]