The definitions of this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) "Behind the wheel instruction" means that portion of a traffic safety education course that consists of on-street, dual-controlled vehicle operation or similar instruction given under simulated conditions that has been approved by the director.
(2) "Branch office" or "branch classroom" means a facility within a thirty-five mile radius of a driver training school's established place of business, except where the thirty-five mile radius requirement has been waived or extended by the department as provided by RCW 46.82.360
(6)(c), that has been approved by the department for use by the driver training school.
(3) "Engage in a course of instruction" means to enroll in, schedule, collect a fee for, or sign an application for an instruction permit in order to attend or take part in a driver training education course.
(4) "Inactive instructor" means an instructor with a valid Washington instructor's license who is no longer employed by or otherwise associated with a licensed driver training school.
(5) "Instructor-trainer" means a currently licensed instructor who is training traffic safety education instructors and who has not less than:
(a) One thousand hours of experience in providing traffic safety education in the past year;
(b) Five years of previous experience in providing traffic safety education; or
(c) One thousand hours or five years experience in the field of traffic safety and proof of training acceptable to the director in how to teach and train others, and not less than three hundred hours of previous experience in training others.
(6) "Records" means all documents, papers and reports required to own a driver training school, including but not limited to:
(a) Vehicle registration, title, insurance policy, and maintenance information;
(b) Business financial documents, such as franchise agreements, corporate documents, bank records, partnership agreements, lease agreements, and purchase and sale agreements; and
(c) Student classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction reports.
(7) "Student" means any person enrolled in an approved driver training education course who is at least fifteen years of age.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.82.290
. WSR 09-21-093, § 308-108-020, filed 10/20/09, effective 11/20/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.82.290
, and 46.82.340
. WSR 07-01-069, § 308-108-020, filed 12/18/06, effective 1/18/07. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.82.290
. WSR 05-16-061, § 308-108-020, filed 7/29/05, effective 8/29/05.]