All definitions in RCW 41.32.010
and WAC 415-02-030
apply to terms used in this chapter. Other terms relevant to the administration of chapter 41.32
RCW are defined in this chapter.
(1) Accrual date
means the first date from which a member's or beneficiary's benefit is calculated. See WAC 415-112-520
, RCW 41.32.795
(2) Annual leave
means leave provided by an employer for the purpose of taking regularly scheduled work time off with pay. Annual leave does not usually include leave for illness, personal business if in addition to and different than vacation leave, or other paid time off from work. However, if an employer authorizes only one type of leave, covering paid leave for vacation, illness, and any other excused absence from work, such leave will be considered annual leave for purposes of RCW 41.50.150
(3) Dual member means a person who:
(a) Is or becomes a member of a retirement system, as defined in RCW 41.50.030
(6), on or after July 1, 1988;
(b) Has been a member of one or more other systems; and
(c) Has never been retired for service from a retirement system and is not receiving a disability retirement or disability leave benefit from any retirement system listed in RCW 41.50.030
(6). See WAC 415-113-041
(4) Ineligible position
means a position that does not meet the requirements of an eligible position as stated in RCW 41.32.010
(5) Pension benefit means that portion of a retiree's monthly retirement allowance that is funded by the state of Washington and the retiree's former employer or employers.
(6) Public educational institution means a school district, the state school for the deaf, the state school for the blind, educational service districts, institutions of higher education, or community or technical colleges.
(7)(a) Public school
as defined in RCW 41.32.010
includes school districts, educational service districts, the state school for the deaf, and the state school for the blind but does not include the office of the superintendent of public instruction.
(b) As applied to TRS employers other than those listed in (a) of this subsection, "public school" means an institution, fifty percent or more of whose employees are "qualified to teach," whose primary function is to educate students. See subsection (8) of this section.
(8) Qualified to teach
as used under RCW 41.32.010
(a) Having a valid certificate issued by the office of the superintendent of public instruction pursuant to WAC 181-79A-140
(b) Having a valid permit to teach issued by a lawful authority of this state pursuant to WAC 181-79A-128
(c) Being employed under a contract to teach with an institution of higher education as defined in RCW 28B.10.016
(9) Service in an administrative or supervisory capacity
as used under RCW 41.32.010
and in this chapter:
(i) Service in a managerial role relating to the administration of a public school; or
(ii) Service involving the exercise of direction over employees of the public school.
(b) Includes, but is not limited to, service as: Principal, assistant principal, superintendent, assistant superintendent, personnel manager and business manager.
(10) Spousal consent requires written evidence that the married member's spouse consents to the retirement option selected by the member. The spouse's notarized signature on the retirement application, duly executed and filed with the department, constitutes "written evidence."
(11) System acronyms used in this chapter are defined as follows:
• "PERS" means the public employees' retirement system.
• "SERS" means the school employees' retirement system.
• "TRS" means the teachers' retirement system.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050
and chapter 41.32
RCW. WSR 08-10-025, § 415-112-015, filed 4/25/08, effective 5/26/08; WSR 05-12-042, § 415-112-015, filed 5/25/05, effective 6/25/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050
(5). WSR 04-21-080, § 415-112-015, filed 10/20/04, effective 11/20/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050
(5) and chapter 41.32
RCW. WSR 02-18-046, § 415-112-015, filed 8/28/02, effective 9/30/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050
. WSR 95-16-053, § 415-112-015, filed 7/25/95, effective 8/25/95. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050
and Bowles v. Retirement Systems, 121 Wn.2d 52 (1993). WSR 94-11-009, § 415-112-015, filed 5/5/94, effective 6/5/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.32.345
. WSR 93-20-021, § 415-112-015, filed 9/24/93, effective 10/25/93.]