PDFWAC 415-112-507

How do I apply for retirement benefits?

You should apply for retirement benefits at least thirty days before your intended retirement date. You can apply online at the department's website or by submitting to the department:
(1) A completed, signed, and notarized retirement application, including:
(a) Your selection of one of the benefit options described in WAC 415-112-493.
(b) Designation of a survivor beneficiary if you selected a benefit option with a survivor feature.
(c) If you are married, your spouse's notarized signature indicating consent to the retirement option you selected. See WAC 415-112-015(10).
(i) If you are married and you do not provide spousal consent, the department will pay you a monthly retirement allowance based on WAC 415-112-504 (3)(d) for Plan 1 or WAC 415-112-505 (2)(c) for Plan 2 and 3 members, option three (joint and one-half survivor benefit allowance) and record your spouse as the survivor beneficiary as required by RCW 41.32.530(2), 41.32.785(2), and 41.32.851(2).
(ii) Spousal consent is not required if a dissolution decree designating your survivor beneficiary under RCW 41.50.790 was filed with the department at least thirty days prior to your retirement date.
(2) Evidence of your birth date, only if requested by the department, such as a photocopy of your birth certificate, passport or passport card, government-issued driver license or identification card, NEXUS card, naturalization certificate, certificate of armed services record U.S. DD-214, or other documentation acceptable to the department. If you are requested to submit evidence, the document you submit must include the month, day, and year of your birth.
(3) If you selected a benefit option with a survivor feature, acceptable evidence of your designated survivor beneficiary's birth date which includes the month, day, and year of birth.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050(5). WSR 16-21-059, § 415-112-507, filed 10/14/16, effective 11/14/16. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050(5) and chapter 41.32 RCW. WSR 05-12-108, § 415-112-507, filed 5/27/05, effective 6/27/05.]