Registration is a prerequisite for emergency workers involved in the conduct of air search and rescue/disaster relief missions conducted under the authority of this chapter or chapter 47.68
(1) Aircraft pilots and observers shall register with the aviation division by completing and filing a form as designated by the aviation division.
(2) Main base support personnel, assigned and working at the aviation division designated incident command post must also be registered with the aviation division.
(3) Ground personnel engaging in search and rescue field activities in remote or isolated locations must be registered emergency workers having complied with the registration requirements of chapter 38.52
RCW and chapter 118-04
(4) The information provided during registration may be used by authorized officials to conduct criminal history, flying record, driving record, and background checks.
(5) Failure to truthfully respond to statements set forth on the registration form may result in the denial of registration or revocation of registration.
(6) Registration required under chapter 47.68
RCW and this chapter shall be accomplished by the aviation division on a form supplied or approved by the aviation division. Registration shall be completed upon the successful completion of the required training program as approved by the aviation division.
(a) An employee of the state or of a political subdivision of the state who is required to perform emergency duties as a normal part of their job shall not be required to register.
(b) When such individuals are outside the jurisdiction of their employment during a disaster, emergency, mission or incident, except when acting under the provisions of a mutual aid agreement, they should report to the on-scene authorized official and announce their capabilities and willingness to serve as a volunteer during the emergency or disaster. The on-scene authorized official shall register the individual as a temporary worker.
(c) Employees of the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management performing their normal assigned duties in jurisdictions under their control shall not be required to register.
(d) Members of active duty, reserve, or National Guard components of the Department of Defense performing duties while in a "paid duty" status shall not be required to register.
(e) Members of active duty or reserve components of the U.S. Coast Guard performing duties while in a "paid duty" status shall not be required to register.
(f) Temporary registration may be authorized in those emergency situations requiring immediate or on-scene recruiting of volunteers to assist in time-critical or life threatening situations.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 47.68
RCW. WSR 97-03-064 (Order 167), § 468-200-080, filed 1/13/97, effective 2/13/97; WSR 96-02-067 (Order 160), § 468-200-080, filed 1/3/96, effective 2/3/96.]