[Order 367--Filed October 9, 1998, 12:53 p.m., effective January 1, 1999]
Date of Adoption: October 9, 1998.
Purpose: The change would allow pull-tab operators to offer more valuable prizes, for the same price per tab, to players, thereby offering players better prizes for the same money and stimulating business for the pull-tab operator.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 230-30-080.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 9.46.070.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 98-18-081 on September 1, 1998, with a publication date of September 16, 1998.
Changes Other than Editing from Proposed to Adopted Version: Language was removed from this rule so that ticket manufacturers will not be required to include secondary verification codes on tickets.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, amended 1, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, amended 1, repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Effective Date of Rule: January 1, 1999.
October 9, 1998
Public Information Officer
AMENDATORY SECTION (Amending Order 359, filed 7/15/98, effective 1/1/99)
WAC 230-30-080 Punch board and pull-tab series restrictions--Prizes, size of game, and location of winners. No operator, distributor, or manufacturer, or representative thereof shall possess, display, put out for play, sell, or otherwise transfer to any person in this state, or for use in this state, any punch board or pull-tab series which:
(1) Does not offer prizes that are equal to or greater than sixty percent of the total gross receipts available from the punch board or pull-tab series. The following applies to the sixty percent calculation:
(a) For the purposes of determining the percentage of prizes offered on any punch board, or in any pull-tab series, total merchandise prizes shall be computed at the amount actually paid by the licensed operator plus fifty percent of that actual cost. For any merchandise prize with an actual cost over five hundred dollars, the total cost plus markup in this subsection shall not exceed seven hundred fifty dollars; and
(b) Prize and percentage requirements for progressive pull-tab series shall be calculated as set forth in WAC 230-30-025;
(2) Offers a single prize that exceeds:
(a) Five hundred dollars in cash: Provided, That progressive jackpot pull-tab prizes, as authorized in WAC 230-30-025, and pull-tab series with carry-over jackpots, as authorized in WAC 230-30-045 shall be exempt from this requirement and shall be subject to the limits defined in those rules: Provided further, That the case limit may be increased from five hundred dollars to seven hundred fifty dollars only on pull-tab series with a cost per tab of one dollar after approval by the director; or
(b) A merchandise prize((
, or combination cash-merchandise
prize,)) for which the operator has expended more than five hundred dollars: Provided,
That operators may expend more than five hundred dollars, not to exceed seven hundred
fifty dollars, subject to the limitations set forth in subsection (1)(a) of this section;
(3) Has multiple winners on an individual pull-tab or punch that combined values exceed the single cash or merchandise prize limit in subsection (2) of this section;
(4) Offers prizes for purchasing the last ticket or last punch that exceeds:
(a) One hundred dollars cash; or
(b) Merchandise for which the licensee has expended more than one hundred dollars; or
(c) The highest prize offered, whichever is less;
(5) Contains more than ten thousand individual pull-tabs: Provided, That progressive jackpot pull-tab series, as authorized by WAC 230-30-025, may contain up to fifty thousand individual pull-tabs;
(6) Utilizes a flare which does not meet the requirements of WAC 230-30-106;
(7) The winning punches or tabs have not been randomly distributed and mixed among all other punches or tabs in the board or series;
(8) The location, or approximate location, of any winning punches or tabs can be determined in advance of punching the punch board or opening the tabs in any manner or by any device, by markings on the board, tabs, or container, or by use of a light;
(9) There exists a key to any winning numbers or symbols; or
(10) Does not conform in any other respect to the requirements of WAC rules as to the manufacture, assembly, or packaging of punch boards or pull-tabs.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070. 98-15-074 (Order 359), § 230-30-080, filed 7/15/98, effective 1/1/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070 (5), (6), (11), (14). 97-14-012, § 230-30-080, filed 6/20/97, effective 7/21/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070, 9.46.120, 9.46.0273, 9.46.310 and 34.05.313. 96-24-006 (Order 305), § 230-30-080, filed 11/21/96, effective 1/1/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070 (1)-(4), (7), (8), (11), (12), (14), (20) and 9.46.110 (3), (4). 95-23-109, § 230-30-080, filed 11/22/95, effective 1/1/96. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070. 93-12-082, § 230-30-080, filed 5/28/93, effective 7/1/93. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070(11). 91-10-004 (Order 222), § 230-30-080, filed 4/18/91, effective 5/19/91. Statutory Authority: Chapter 9.46 RCW. 91-05-047 (Order 220), § 230-30-080, filed 2/14/91, effective 3/17/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.030 (2) and (3) and 9.46.070 (11) and (14). 83-19-024 (Order 136), § 230-30-080, filed 9/13/83. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070(14). 81-19-073 (Order 112), § 230-30-080, filed 9/15/81. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070(10). 79-07-019 (Order 90), § 230-30-080, filed 6/14/79; Order 55, § 230-30-080, filed 6/25/76; Order 43, § 230-30-080, filed 11/28/75; Order 15, § 230-30-080, filed 4/17/74; Order 9, § 230-30-080, filed 12/19/73, 1:26 p.m.; Order 5, § 230-30-080, filed 12/19/73, 1:25 p.m.]