PREPROPOSAL STATEMENT OF INQUIRY
Subject of Possible Rule Making: Revision of chapter 173-422 WAC, Motor vehicle emission inspection.
Statutes Authorizing the Agency to Adopt Rules on this Subject: RCW 70.120.120.
Reasons Why Rules on this Subject may be Needed and What They Might Accomplish:
• Upgrades the vehicle emission testing procedures for diesel cars and light trucks.
• Clarifies that all emission tests are valid for at least twelve months.
• Requires that automotive repair businesses have the equipment to check on-board diagnostic system of 1996 and newer vehicles if they wish to be on the list of businesses provided to owners of vehicles that fail the test.
• Removes obsolete language.
Other Federal and State Agencies that Regulate this Subject and the Process Coordinating the Rule with These Agencies:
• The Department of Licensing is responsible for notifying vehicle owners when emission testing is required. The Department of Licensing has requested that this rule be revised to simplify computer reprogramming that checks whether or not a vehicle has met an emission test requirement.
• There are federal rules that apply to some motor vehicle emission inspection procedures. When possible these federal rules have been already included by reference in the rule.
Process for Developing New Rule: Agency study.
Interested parties can participate in the decision to adopt the new rule and formulation of the proposed rule before publication by contacting John Raymond, Air Quality Program, Department of Ecology, P.O. Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, phone (360) 407-6856, fax (360) 407-7543.
February 19, 2002
Mary E. Burg