Exempt from preproposal statement of inquiry under RCW 34.05.310(4).
Title of Rule: WAC 356-56-070 Incumbent status for positions converted by the board from exempt to classified.
Purpose: This rule pertains to incumbent status for Washington Management Service positions that are converted by the Washington Personnel Resources Board from exempt to classified.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 41.06 RCW.
Statute Being Implemented: RCW 41.06.150.
Summary: This rule pertains to status, salary, periodic increment date, vacation leave credits, sick leave credits appeal rights and how it will be determined what methodology will be used to establish seniority when positions are converted from exempt to classified.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Sharon Whitehead, 521 Capitol Way South, Olympia, WA, (360) 664-6348; Implementation and Enforcement: Department of Personnel.
Name of Proponent: Department of Personnel, governmental.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: The purpose of this rule is to deal with incumbents' status, salary, periodic increment dates, vacation leave, sick leave, appeal rights and how it will be determined what methodology will be used to establish the effective date for incumbent seniority when positions are converted by the Washington Personnel Resources Board from exempt to classified.
Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: See above.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not required.
RCW 34.05.328 does not apply to this rule adoption.
Hearing Location: Department of Personnel, 521 Capitol Way South, Olympia, WA, on July 11, 2002, at 10:00 a.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Department of Personnel by July 5, 2002, TDD (360) 753-4107, or (360) 586-8260.
Submit Written Comments to: Sharon Whitehead, Department of Personnel, P.O. Box 47500, fax (360) 586-4694, by July 5, 2002.
Date of Intended Adoption: July 11, 2002.
June 4, 2002
E. C. Matt, Director
Department of Personnel
(2) The incumbent shall not be required to meet any additional agency selection requirements in order to be placed into the converted position.
(3) Incumbents who have been continuously employed for a period of time equivalent to or greater than the Washington management review period that the agency requires to obtain permanent status shall not be required to complete a review period. Incumbents who have not been continuously employed for a period of time equivalent to or greater than the established review period shall be required to complete the remaining portion of the Washington management service review period.
(4) Incumbents whose salary is higher than the range of consideration or band assigned to the Washington management service shall retain their current salary, which will be administered as a Y-rate in accordance with WAC 356-14-075.
(5) Incumbents shall be credited with all unused sick leave credits, if any, that they had accrued up to the time of placement in a position converted by the board and shall begin to accrue sick leave as provided in WAC 356-18-050.
(6) Incumbents shall be credited with all unused vacation leave credits, if any, that they had accrued up to the time of placement in a position converted by the board and shall begin to accrue vacation leave as provided in WAC 356-18-090.
(7) With regard to calculation of unused sick and vacation leave credits upon conversion, the employing agency is entitled to a presumption that its calculations are accurate and in accordance with Chapter 356-18 WAC. If the incumbent disagrees he or she bears the burden of proof, by a preponderance of the evidence, that a different leave amount is correct under Chapter 356-18 WAC.
(8) The director will determine the methodology to be used for establishing the effective date for incumbent seniority. When feasible, the director will apply the methodology as prescribed in WAC 356-05-390. The employing agency shall set the seniority date in accordance with the director's instruction. Thereafter, incumbents shall accrue seniority in accordance with WAC 356-05-390. As provided in WAC 356-30-130, seniority gained by seasonal career employees during seasonal layoff will be disregarded. If an incumbent believes the agency did not set the seniority date in accordance with the director's instructions, the incumbent may request a review with the director. The written request for review must be filed with the director and received within 30 calendar days from the date the agency informed the employee of their seniority date. The request must contain the reasons and basis for the review. Once the review is completed the director or designee shall issue a decision, which will be final and binding.
(9) Incumbents placed in a position converted under the provisions of this section have appeal rights as provided in Title 356 WAC and Title 358 WAC.
Reviser's note: The unnecessary underscoring in the above section occurred in the copy filed by the agency and appears in the Register pursuant to the requirements of RCW 34.08.040.