Date of Adoption: March 21, 2003.
Purpose: (1) To amend the rules to revise the procedures by which college/universities will seek approval for their competency-based endorsement programs and (2) to allow teacher candidates enrolled in endorsement programs under chapter 180-82 WAC to have until August 31, 2005, to complete their programs.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 180-82A-206 and 180-82A-215.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.010.
Under RCW 34.05.350 the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Reasons for this Finding: See Purpose above.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making:
Pilot Rule Making:
or Other Alternative Rule Making:
Effective Date of Rule: Immediately.
April 7, 2003
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 02-04-013, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02)
WAC 180-82A-206 Endorsement program approval. (1) The state board of education shall approve endorsement programs at Washington colleges and universities pursuant to the requirements of this chapter. Only colleges and universities with state board of education approved residency certificate teacher preparation programs are eligible to apply for approval to offer endorsement programs.
(2) The state board of education will establish performance/competency criteria for obtaining an endorsement. Revision in adopted endorsement competencies may occur only as approved by the state board.
(3) The superintendent of public instruction will publish, and make available, competencies for all endorsement areas identified in chapter 180-82A WAC.
(4) By August 31, 2003, each college or university
desiring to establish an endorsement program shall ((
with the following:
(a) Identification of opportunities for candidate to develop the capacity to demonstrate each competency;
(b))) submit a timeline to meet the following requirements for full approval by August 31, 2004:
(a) Identification of strategies that will be used to
assess candidates' capacity/performance ((
on each competency))
related to the competencies;
(c))) (b) A description of evidences that candidates
will provide to document (( candidates')) their positive impact
on student learning in the (( respective)) endorsement area;
(d))) (c) A description of the (( process)) assessment
system by which (( summaries of candidates' assessment data,
relative to performance on each competency, will be compiled))
candidate performance, relative to the competencies, will be
aggregated, analyzed, and used for program improvement.
(5) The state board of education shall approve endorsement programs for a maximum of five years. Each institution shall submit endorsement programs for review when requested by the state board of education to ensure that the endorsement programs meet the competencies and to provide assessment data relative to candidate performance.
(6) The state board of education shall determine the schedule and process for endorsement program reviews.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 28A.410 RCW and RCW 28A.305.130 (1) through (4). 02-04-013, § 180-82A-206, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02.]
(2) Teachers shall be required to obtain a minimum of one endorsement.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 28A.410 RCW and RCW 28A.305.130 (1) through (4). 02-04-013, § 180-82A-215, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02.]