FISH AND WILDLIFE
Date of Adoption: April 28, 2004.
Purpose: Amend catch record card rules.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 220-56-175.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 77.12.047.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 03-21-139 on October 21, 2003.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making:
Pilot Rule Making:
or Other Alternative Rule Making:
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
April 28, 2004
for Will Roehl, Chair
Fish and Wildlife Commission
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending Order 03-24, filed 2/14/03, effective 5/1/03)
WAC 220-56-175 Catch record cards. It is unlawful for any person to fail to comply with the catch record requirements as provided for in this section:
(1) In order to fish for or possess for personal use any crab, anadromous salmon, sturgeon, halibut taken from Catch Record Card Areas 5 through 13, or steelhead, an angler must obtain and have in personal possession a valid appropriate catch record card as described in WAC 220-69-236 except for commercially caught salmon retained for personal use as provided for in WAC 220-20-016 and commercially caught sturgeon retained for personal use as provided for in WAC 220-20-021.
(2) Any angler, after obtaining a catch record card shall validate the catch record card by completely, accurately, and legibly completing all personal identification information in ink on the catch record card prior to detaching the catch record card from the underlying copy of the catch record card or, for automated licenses, affixing the appropriate validation sticker to the catch record card. A catch record card remains valid so long as there are one or more unfilled spaces available for the species being fished for, except:
(a) In the mainstem Columbia River downstream from where the river forms the common boundary between Oregon and Washington for sturgeon a catch record card remains valid when the sturgeon portion of the catch record card is filled. A person may not retain sturgeon after the sturgeon portion of the catch record card is filled.
(b) A second or subsequent catch record card is invalid for retention of sturgeon.
(3) Immediately upon catching and possessing a salmon,
steelhead, sturgeon or halibut, the angler shall enter in ink
in the appropriate space the place, date of catch, species
(catch type), for sturgeon, length ((
and)), for halibut,
vessel type and for salmon, whether or not the fish was
(4) Immediately upon retaining a Dungeness crab aboard a vessel or on the shore, the fisher must enter in ink in the appropriate space the place and date of catch, fishery type and enter a tally mark for each Dungeness crab retained from each catch record card area fished. At the end of the fishing day, the fisher shall enter the total number of crab tally marks for each fishery type.
(5) Every person possessing a catch record card shall by April 30 of the year following the year printed on the card return such card to the department of fish and wildlife.
(6) Any person possessing a catch record card shall, upon demand of any law enforcement officer or authorized department employee, exhibit said card to such officer or employee for inspection.
(7) A catch record card shall not be transferred, borrowed, altered, or loaned to another person.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047. 03-05-057 (Order 03-24), § 220-56-175, filed 2/14/03, effective 5/1/03; 01-06-036 (Order 01-24), § 220-56-175, filed 3/5/01, effective 5/1/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.32.050. 00-11-178 (Order 00-80), § 220-56-175, filed 5/24/00, effective 6/24/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 75.08.080, 77.12.040. 00-08-038 (Order 00-29), § 220-56-175, filed 3/29/00, effective 5/1/00; 99-17-066 (Order 99-125), § 220-56-175, filed 8/13/99, effective 4/1/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 75.08.080. 91-08-054 (Order 91-13), § 220-56-175, filed 4/2/91, effective 5/3/91; 90-06-026, § 220-56-175, filed 2/28/90, effective 3/31/90; 89-07-071 (Order 89-05), § 220-56-175, filed 3/20/89; 88-05-002 (Order 88-03), § 220-56-175, filed 2/4/88; 85-11-020 (Order 85-43), § 220-56-175, filed 5/10/85; 80-03-064 (Order 80-12), § 220-56-175, filed 2/27/80, effective 4/1/80. Formerly WAC 220-56-023.]