SOCIAL AND HEALTH SERVICES
(Economic Services Administration)
Date of Adoption: April 30, 2004.
Purpose: Amending WAC 388-452-0005 Do I have to be interviewed in order to get benefits?, to reflect a federal change in interview requirements at recertification for the Washington Basic Food program. Basic Food clients may have a telephone interview rather than a face-to-face interview at recertification.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 388-452-0005.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 04-06-040 on February 7 , 2004.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making:
Pilot Rule Making:
or Other Alternative Rule Making:
Effective Date of Rule: July 1, 2004.
April 30, 2004
Brian H. Lindgren, Manager
Rules and Policies Assistance Unit3369.1
(a) At initial certification; and
(b) At least once every twelve months if your assistance unit (AU) is certified for twelve months or less.
(2) You do not have to attend an interview if you are applying for or recertifying medical benefits only. If we deny your application for cash or Basic Food because you did not have an interview, we continue to process your request for medical benefits.
(3) You will have just one interview even if you are
applying for or ((
have)) are having a review for benefits from
more than one program.
(4) If we do not interview you on the same day that we get your application, we schedule an interview appointment for you. We schedule your appointment the day we get your application or on the next business day if we get your application outside of our scheduled business hours, on a holiday or a weekend.
(5) We schedule an interview so your AU has at least ten days after the interview to provide needed verification:
(a) Before the end of the thirty-day processing period for applications; or
(b) Before your certification period ends for eligibility reviews or recertifications.
(6) If you miss your first interview and ask for another interview within thirty days of the date you applied for benefits, we schedule a second interview for you.
(7) If you must have an interview for benefits, you or someone who can give us the information we need about your AU must participate in the interview. You may bring any person you choose to your interview.
(8) You may choose someone to take your place in your interview:
(a) For cash assistance if you cannot come to the local office for us to decide if you are eligible for benefits; or
(b) For Basic Food if the person is your authorized representative as described in WAC 388-460-0005.
(9) We usually have interviews at the local office. You
can have a scheduled telephone interview if there is any
reason you cannot attend an interview at the local office. Examples of reasons you may be unable to attend an interview
(a) Your work or training schedule make it inconvenient for you to attend an in-office interview during regular business hours;
(b) You are unable to take time off of work to attend an in-office interview, because you would not get paid for this time or you fear you could lose your job;
(c) Someone in your AU is ill, or you have to stay home to care for an AU member;
(d) You are having transportation problems;
(e) You can't safely get to the office because of severe weather;
(f) You live in a remote area and can't easily get to the local office;
(g) All the people in your AU are elderly, mentally disabled, or physically disabled;
(h) Someone in your AU is affected by family violence such as physical or mental abuse, harassment, or stalking by the abuser; or
(i) You have any other situation that makes it difficult for you to come into the office for an interview.
(10) If you currently get benefits from the department and you are completing an eligibility review or recertification for ongoing benefits under chapter 388-434 WAC, you can have a scheduled phone interview even if you do not meet the requirements for a phone interview listed above.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, and 7 C.F.R. 273.2(e). 03-18-113, § 388-452-0005, filed 9/2/03, effective 11/1/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, and 74.08.090. 02-14-023, § 388-452-0005, filed 6/21/02, effective 7/1/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, and 74.09.530. 01-14-060, § 388-452-0005, filed 6/29/01, effective 8/1/01; 00-22-087, § 388-452-0005, filed 10/31/00, effective 12/1/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.09.530 and 42 C.F.R. 435.907. 99-11-075, § 388-452-0005, filed 5/18/99, effective 6/18/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057 and 74.08.090. 98-16-044, § 388-452-0005, filed 7/31/98, effective 9/1/98. Formerly WAC 388-504-0420.]