Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: Chapter 392-410 WAC, Course of study and equivalencies.
THIS RULE IS BEING PROPOSED UNDER AN EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS THAT WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR THE AGENCY TO HOLD PUBLIC HEARINGS, PREPARE A SMALL BUSINESS ECONOMIC IMPACT STATEMENT, OR PROVIDE RESPONSES TO THE CRITERIA FOR A SIGNIFICANT LEGISLATIVE RULE. IF YOU OBJECT TO THIS USE OF THE EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS, YOU MUST EXPRESS YOUR OBJECTIONS IN WRITING AND THEY MUST BE SENT TO Marcia L. Riggers, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, P.O. Box 47200, Olympia, WA 98504-7200 , AND RECEIVED BY December 18, 2006.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: These changes are being made as required under E2SHB 2098, sections 909 through 911.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.230.090.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: Office of superintendent of public instruction, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Marcia L. Riggers, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, (360) 725-6175.
October 3, 2006
Marty S. Daybell
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 06-14-009, filed 6/22/06, effective 6/22/06)
WAC 392-410-100 Authority and purpose. (1) The general authority for this chapter is RCW ((
28A.230.020 which authorizes the (( state board of education))
superintendent of public instruction to prepare an outline of
study for the common schools and (( RCW 28A.305.130(9) which
authorizes the state board of education)) to adopt rules to
meet the educational needs of students. Where applicable,
specific statutory authority is cited within sections of this
(2) The purposes of this chapter are to:
(a) Implement RCW ((
28A.305.130 (8) and (9))) 28A.230.020
by prescribing state requirements for a course of study in the
(b) Implement courses of study specifically required by statutes;
Establish)) Implement RCW 28A.230.100 establishing
procedural and substantive requirements for the granting of
credit for equivalent courses of study which may be in
conjunction with or as a substitution for courses of study in
[Statutory Authority: 2006 c 263. 06-14-009, recodified as § 392-410-100, filed 6/22/06, effective 6/22/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.04.120. 00-19-106, § 180-50-100, filed 9/20/00, effective 10/21/00. Statutory Authority: 1990 c 33. 90-17-009, § 180-50-100, filed 8/6/90, effective 9/6/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.04.120 (6) and (8). 84-21-004 (Order 12-84), § 180-50-100, filed 10/4/84.]
(2) Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.030, unless instruction in a language other than English will aid the educational advancement of the student, all students shall be taught in English.
(3) Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.130((
, after July 1, 1986,))
each school district offering a high school program shall
provide a course of study which includes the preparation for
uniform college and university entrance requirements (( as
published by the council of postsecondary education)).
(4) In addition to the requirements in the above subsections, each such school district shall offer all required courses for a high school diploma as provided in chapter 180-51 WAC and shall provide an opportunity for high school students to take at least one course in the following areas of study:
(b) Career education;
(c) Computer education;
(d) Consumer education;
(f) A language other than English which may include American Indian languages;
(g) Health education;
(h) Home and family life;
(j) Remedial education, including at least, remedial education in reading, language arts, and mathematics.
(5) Districts shall make available to all high school students enrolled therein the areas of study enumerated above either within the district or by alternative means which shall include equivalent education programs set forth in this chapter, interdistrict cooperative programs as permitted by RCW 28A.225.220, and/or the full-time or part-time release of such students to attend nonresident districts pursuant to chapter 392-137 WAC.
(6) Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.020 instruction about conservation, natural resources, and the environment shall be provided at all grade levels in an interdisciplinary manner through science, the social studies, the humanities, and other appropriate areas with an emphasis on solving the problems of human adaptation to the environment.
[Statutory Authority: 2006 c 263. 06-14-009, recodified as § 392-410-115, filed 6/22/06, effective 6/22/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010. 94-03-104 (Order 5-94), § 180-50-115, filed 1/19/94, effective 2/19/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130. 91-01-067, § 180-50-115, filed 12/14/90, effective 1/14/91. Statutory Authority: 1990 c 33. 90-17-009, § 180-50-115, filed 8/6/90, effective 9/6/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.04.120 (6) and (8). 84-21-004 (Order 12-84), § 180-50-115, filed 10/4/84.]