(Board of Optometry)
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 246-851-110 Courses presumed to qualify for credit--Optometry
THIS RULE IS BEING PROPOSED UNDER AN EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS THAT WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR THE AGENCY TO HOLD PUBLIC HEARINGS, PREPARE A SMALL BUSINESS ECONOMIC IMPACT STATEMENT, OR PROVIDE RESPONSES TO THE CRITERIA FOR A SIGNIFICANT LEGISLATIVE RULE. IF YOU OBJECT TO THIS USE OF THE EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS, YOU MUST EXPRESS YOUR OBJECTIONS IN WRITING AND THEY MUST BE SENT TO Judy Henke [Haenke], Program Manager, Department of Health, P.O. Box 47870, Olympia, WA 98504-7870, phone (360) 236-4947, fax (360) 236-2901, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org , AND RECEIVED BY January 18, 2010.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: The purpose of the proposed amendment is to correct the reference in the rule from the Washington Association of Optometric Physicians to that organization's current name, the Optometric Physicians of Washington.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: The board of optometry received a petition from the Optometric Physicians of Washington to correct the reference to its organization in WAC 246-851-110(3) from the Washington Association of Optometric Physicians to the Optometric Physicians of Washington. The proposed rule only makes a name change and therefore qualifies for expedited rule making under RCW 34.05.353 (1)(c).
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 18.54.070(2).
Statute Being Implemented: RCW 18.54.070(2).
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: Department of health, board of optometry, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Judy Haenke, Program Manager, P.O. Box 47870, Olympia, WA 98504-7870, (360) 236-4947.
October 30, 2009
Laura Toepfer, O.D., Chair
Board of Optometry
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 97-12-088, filed 6/4/97, effective 7/5/97)
WAC 246-851-110 Courses presumed to qualify for credit. Courses offered by the following organizations are presumed to qualify as continuing education courses without specific prior approval of the board. However, the board reserves the right to not accept credits if the board determines that a course did not provide appropriate information or training.
(1) The American Optometric Association.
(2) Any college or school of optometry whose scholastic standards are deemed sufficient by the board under RCW 18.53.060(2).
(3) The ((
Washington Association of)) Optometric
Physicians of Washington.
(4) Any state optometric association which is recognized by the licensing authority of its state as a qualified professional association or educational organization.
(5) The state optometry board.
(6) The optometry licensing authority of any other state.
(7) The American Academy of Optometry.
(8) The Optometric Extension Program.
(9) The College of Optometrists in Vision Development.
(10) The National Eye Research Foundation.
(11) Regional congresses of any of the organizations listed in subsections (1) through (10) of this section.
(12) The Council on Post-Graduate Education of the American Optometric Association.
(13) The Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (C.O.P.E.).
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.54.070(2). 97-12-088, § 246-851-110, filed 6/4/97, effective 7/5/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.54.070. 94-04-041, § 246-851-110, filed 1/27/94, effective 2/27/94; 93-18-092 (Order 393B), § 246-851-110, filed 9/1/93, effective 10/2/93; 91-06-025 (Order 119B), recodified as § 246-851-110, filed 2/26/91, effective 3/29/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.54.070(2). 89-10-030 (Order PM 839), § 308-53-120, filed 4/27/89. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.54.070. 88-07-047 (Order PM 710), § 308-53-120, filed 3/11/88. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.54.070(5). 84-09-082 (Order PL 465), § 308-53-120, filed 4/18/84; Order PL 239, § 308-53-120, filed 3/3/76.]