Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: The department proposed to amend chapter 16-80 WAC to create a definition for feral swine and to bring the current language up-to-date with current standards as well as make it clear and readable. The department also proposed changing the name of this WAC to "Swine diseases regulated in Washington state."
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 16.36 RCW.
Other Authority: Chapter 34.05 RCW.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 10-12-077 on June 1, 2010.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 2, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 2, Amended 4, Repealed 7.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 2, Amended 4, Repealed 7.
Date Adopted: June 10, 2010.
PSEUDORABIES IN)) SWINE DISEASES REGULATED IN WASHINGTON
"Department" means the Washington state department of agriculture.
"Director" means the director of agriculture of the state
of Washington or his or her authorized representative((
(2) "Department" means the department of agriculture of
the state of Washington.
(3) "Approved pseudorabies vaccine" means only those biological products that are approved by and produced under license of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for injection into swine for the purpose of enhancing their resistance to pseudorabies, are specific gene deletion vaccines and are authorized for use in a specific herd by the state veterinarian.
(4))) "Exposed" means to have had contact with an animal infected with an infectious or communicable disease.
"Feral swine" means animals included in any of the following categories:
• Animals of the genus Sus that are free roaming on public or private lands and do not appear to be domesticated;
• Swine from domesticated stocks that have escaped or been released or born into the wild state;
• European wild hogs and their hybrid forms (also known as European wild boars or razorbacks), regardless of whether they are free roaming or kept in confinement; or
• Animals of the family Tayassuidae such as peccaries and javelinas, regardless of whether they are free roaming or kept in confinement.
"Official USDA-approved identification" means ((
issued backtag or an eartag bearing state identification and a
unique number)) methods of identification, as approved in 9
C.F.R. Chapter 1, Section 71.19, January 1, 2009.
(5))) "Pseudorabies infected herd" means a herd of
swine in which pseudorabies has been diagnosed in one or more
animals by the National Veterinary Service Laboratory (NVSL)
or a state laboratory approved by USDA to conduct official
(6) "Expose" means to have contact with an animal
infected with the pseudorabies virus.
(7) "Pseudorabies" means a contagious, infectious and communicable disease caused by a herpesvirus that affects swine and other animals.
(8) "Official pseudorabies test" means a test for the diagnosis of pseudorabies conducted in a USDA-approved laboratory. These tests include, but are not limited to, serum neutralization (SN), virus isolation, fluorescent antibody, latex agglutination, particle concentration fluorescence immunoassay (PCFIA) and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).)) "USDA" means the United States Department of Agriculture.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 16.36.040. 00-06-066, § 16-80-005, filed 3/1/00, effective 4/1/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 16.36.040 and 16.36.096. 91-08-027, § 16-80-005, filed 3/29/91, effective 4/29/91.]
[Statutory Authority: RCW 16.36.040. 00-06-066, § 16-80-010, filed 3/1/00, effective 4/1/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 16.36.040 and 16.36.096. 91-08-027, § 16-80-010, filed 3/29/91, effective 4/29/91.]
(2) Under RCW 16.36.096, subject to the availability of
sufficient)) funds appropriated for this specific purpose,
the director may pay an indemnity (( for any swine)) in an
amount of up to seventy-five percent of appraised or salvage
value of the animal ordered slaughtered or destroyed. (( When
the indemnity is approved, the amount that will be paid is one
hundred dollars for any sow past fifty days pregnant or with
suckling piglets, fifty dollars for boars and open sows or
sows less than fifty days pregnant, and fifty dollars for
breeding gilts over two hundred fifty pounds live weight. An
indemnity of up to seventy-five percent of appraised value of
feeding stock will be paid when destroyed rather than
(3) No indemnity will be paid if:
(1) The statewide infection rate exceeds 0.1% of total
swine herds in the state; or
(2))) (a) The swine belong to the federal government or any of its agencies, this state or any of its political subdivisions, or any municipal corporations; or
(3))) (b) The swine were (( brought into this state
within six months of being ordered slaughtered or destroyed))
not imported into this state in compliance with state
importation regulations found in chapter 16-54 WAC.
(4) The state veterinarian must approve of the disposal methods of any swine ordered destroyed.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 16.36.040. 00-06-066, § 16-80-035, filed 3/1/00, effective 4/1/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 16.36.040 and 16.36.096. 91-08-027, § 16-80-035, filed 3/29/91, effective 4/29/91.]
[Statutory Authority: RCW 16.36.040. 00-06-066, § 16-80-045, filed 3/1/00, effective 4/1/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 16.36.040 and 16.36.096. 91-08-027, § 16-80-045, filed 3/29/91, effective 4/29/91.]
The following sections of the Washington Administrative Code are repealed:
|WAC 16-80-007||Surveillance program.|
|WAC 16-80-015||Sale of quarantined animals.|
|WAC 16-80-020||Quarantine and release.|
|WAC 16-80-025||Disinfecting premises.|
|WAC 16-80-030||Disinfecting vehicles.|
|WAC 16-80-047||Mandatory reporting of suspected pseudorabies.|