Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 11-18-024.
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 392-194-001 and 392-194-002, school personnel certificate fees, professional certification, office of superintendent of public instruction (OSPI).
Hearing Location(s): OSPI, Brouillet Conference Room, 600 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98504, on December 6, 2011, at 10:00.
Date of Intended Adoption: December 6, 2011.
Submit Written Comments to: David Kinnunen, Old Capitol Building, P.O. Box 47200, Olympia, WA 98504-7200, e-mail David.Kinnunen@k12.wa.us, fax (360) 586-0145, by December 5, 2011.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Wanda Griffin by December 5, 2011, TTY (360) 664-3631 or (360) 725-6132.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: This will be a new rule, WAC 392-194-001 and 392-194-002.
The purpose of this chapter is to establish the fee for processing initial educator certificate applications and subsequent actions. The legislature finds that the processing of certifications should be moved to an on-line system that allows educators to manage their certifications and provide better information to policymakers. The legislature intends to assess a certification processing fee to eliminate state-funded support of the cost to issue educator certificates.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: ESHB 1449 (chapter 23, Laws of 2011).
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: OSPI.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting and Implementation: David Kinnunen, OSPI, (360) 725-6406; and Enforcement: Martin Mueller, OSPI, (360) 725-6175.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW.
October 25, 2011
SCHOOL PERSONNEL CERTIFICATE FEES
(1) Teacher. The teacher certificate, including teacher exchange permits as provided in WAC 181-79A-140, authorizes service as a classroom teacher.
(2) Career and technical. The career and technical education certificate authorizes service in career and technical education programs in accordance with the provisions of chapter 181-77 WAC.
(3) First people's language/culture. The first peoples' language, culture, and oral tribal traditions teacher certificate authorizes service as defined under WAC 181-78A-700(8).
(5) Educational staff associate. The educational staff associate certificate authorizes service in the roles of school speech pathologists or audiologists, school counselors, school nurses, school occupational therapists, school physical therapists, school psychologists, and school social workers: Provided, That nothing within chapter 181-79A WAC authorizes professional practice by an educational staff associate which is otherwise prohibited or restricted by any other law, including licensure statutes and rules and regulations promulgated by the appropriate licensure board or agency.
(6) Limited certificates. The following limited certificates are issued to individuals under specific circumstances set forth in WAC 181-79A-231:
(a) Conditional certificate.
(b) Substitute certificate.
(c) Emergency certificate.
(d) Emergency substitute certificate.
(e) Nonimmigrant alien exchange teacher.
(f) Intern substitute teacher certificate.
(g) Transitional certificate.
(h) Provisional alternative administrative certificate.