Effective Date of Rule: Immediately.
Purpose: The proposed rules are to support the 2011 legislature in that the legislature finds that the current economic environment requires that the state, when appropriate, charge for some of the services provided directly to the users of those services. The legislature finds that the processing of certifications should be moved to an on-line system that allows educators to manage their certifications and provides better information to policymakers. The legislature intends to assess a certification processing fee to eliminate state-funded support of the cost to issue educator certificates.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: ESHB 1449 (chapter 23, Laws of 2011).
Under RCW 34.05.350 the agency for good cause finds that in order to implement the requirements or reductions in appropriations enacted in any budget for fiscal year 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2013, which necessitates the need for the immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the fiscal needs or requirements of the agency.
Reasons for this Finding: The Appropriations Act reduced the state funding for the office of superintendent of public instruction (OSPI) certification office in anticipation of OSPI collecting the certification processing fee that this rule would institute.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 1, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: December 13, 2011.
of Public Instruction
SCHOOL PERSONNEL CERTIFICATE FEES
(1) Teacher. The teacher certificate, including teacher exchange permits as provided in WAC 181-79A-140, authorizes service as a classroom teacher.
(2) Career and technical. The career and technical education certificate authorizes service in career and technical education programs in accordance with the provisions of chapter 181-77 WAC.
(3) First people's language/culture. The first peoples' language, culture, and oral tribal traditions teacher certificate authorizes service as defined under WAC 181-78A-700(8).
(5) Educational staff associate. The educational staff associate certificate authorizes service in the roles of school speech pathologists or audiologists, school counselors, school nurses, school occupational therapists, school physical therapists, school psychologists, and school social workers: Provided, That nothing within chapter 181-79A WAC authorizes professional practice by an educational staff associate which is otherwise prohibited or restricted by any other law, including licensure statutes and rules and regulations promulgated by the appropriate licensure board or agency.
(6) Limited certificates. The following limited certificates are issued to individuals under specific circumstances set forth in WAC 181-79A-231:
(a) Conditional certificate.
(b) Substitute certificate.
(c) Emergency certificate.
(d) Emergency substitute certificate.
(e) Nonimmigrant alien exchange teacher.
(f) Intern substitute teacher certificate.
(g) Transitional certificate.
(h) Provisional alternative administrative certificate.