BILL REQ. #: S-4851.1
|State of Washington||59th Legislature||2006 Regular Session|
READ FIRST TIME 01/31/06.
AN ACT Relating to rabbits; adding a new section to chapter 16.49 RCW; and adding a new section to chapter 69.07 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1 A new section is added to chapter 16.49 RCW
to read as follows:
(1) This chapter does not apply to the slaughter and preparation of one thousand or fewer rabbits in a calendar year by the agricultural producer of the rabbits for the sale of whole raw rabbits by the producer directly to the ultimate consumer at the producer's farm.
(2) For the purposes of this section, "rabbit" means the species Oryctolagus cuniculus.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2 A new section is added to chapter 69.07 RCW
to read as follows:
(1) A special, temporary permit issued by the department under this section is required for the slaughter, preparation, and sale of one thousand or fewer rabbits in a calendar year by the agricultural producer of the rabbits for the sale of whole raw rabbits by the producer directly to the ultimate consumer at the producer's farm. These activities shall not be conducted without the permit. However, if the activities are conducted under such a permit, the activities are exempt from any other licensing requirements of this chapter.
(2)(a) The department must adopt by rule requirements for a special, temporary permit for the activities described in subsection (1) of this section. The requirements must be generally patterned after those established by WAC 246-215-131 as it exists on the effective date of this section, for temporary food service establishments, but must be tailored specifically to these slaughter, preparation, and sale activities. The requirements must include, but are not limited to, those for: Cooling procedures, when applicable; sanitary facilities, equipment, and utensils; clean water; washing and other hygienic practices; and waste and wastewater disposal.
(b) The rules must also identify the length of time such a permit is valid. In determining the length of time, the department must take care to ensure that it is adequate to accommodate the seasonal nature of the permitted activities. In adopting any rule under this section, the department must also carefully consider the economic constraints on the regulated activity.
(3) The department shall conduct inspections of the activities permitted under this section as are reasonably necessary to ensure compliance with permit requirements.
(4) The fee for a special permit issued under this section is seventy-five dollars.
(5) For the purposes of this section, "rabbit" means the species Oryctolagus cuniculus.