1954-S AMH HANS MUNN 471
SHB 1954 - H AMD TO H AMD (H-2617.8/13) 569
By Representative Hansen
On page 58, beginning on line 29 of the striking amendment, strike all of section 412 and insert the following:
"NEW SECTION. Sec. 412. A new section is added to chapter 82.80 RCW to read as follows:
(1) Subject to the conditions of this section, a
passenger-only ferry service district may fix and impose a parking tax on all
persons engaged in a commercial parking business within its respective
(2) In lieu of the tax in subsection (1) of this section, a passenger-only ferry service district may fix and impose a tax for the act or privilege of parking a motor vehicle in a facility operated by a commercial parking business.
The passenger-only ferry service district may provide that:
(a) The tax is paid by the operator or owner of the motor vehicle;
(b) The tax applies to all parking for which a fee is paid, whether paid or leased, including parking supplied with a lease of nonresidential space;
(c) The tax is collected by the operator of the facility and remitted to the city, county, or passenger-only ferry service district;
(d) The tax is a fee per vehicle or is measured by the parking charge;
(e) The tax rate varies with zoning or location of the facility, the duration of the parking, the time of entry or exit, the type or use of the vehicle, or other reasonable factors; and
(f) Tax exempt carpools, vehicles with handicapped decals, or government vehicles are exempt from the tax.
(3) "Commercial parking business" as used in this section, means the ownership, lease, operation, or management of a commercial parking lot in which fees are charged. "Commercial parking lot" means a covered or uncovered area with stalls for the purpose of parking motor vehicles.
(4) The rate of the tax under subsection (1) of this section may be based either upon gross proceeds or the number of vehicle stalls available for commercial parking use. The rates charged must be uniform for the same class or type of commercial parking business.
(5) The passenger-only ferry service district levying the tax provided for in subsection (1) or (2) of this section may provide for its payment on a monthly, quarterly, or annual basis.
(6) The proceeds of the parking tax imposed by a passenger-only ferry service district under subsection (1) or (2) of this section must be used as provided in section 409 of this act."
EFFECT: Allows for the imposition of a commercial parking tax by a passenger-only ferry service district. The proceeds of any such tax must be used only to provide passenger-only ferry service and associated services to support and augment the passenger-only ferry service.
--- END ---