SB 5775 -
By Committee on Transportation
Strike everything after the enacting clause and insert the following:
"Sec. 1 RCW 46.20.161 and 2012 c 80 s 8 are each amended to read
(1) The department, upon receipt of a fee of forty-five dollars from October 1, 2012, to June 30, 2013, and fifty-four dollars after June 30, 2013, unless the driver's license is issued for a period other than five years from October 1, 2012, to June 30, 2013, or six years after June 30, 2013, in which case the fee shall be nine dollars for each year that the license is issued, which includes the fee for the required photograph, shall issue to every qualifying applicant a driver's license. A driver's license issued to a person under the age of eighteen is an intermediate license, subject to the restrictions imposed under RCW 46.20.075, until the person reaches the age of eighteen. The license must include a distinguishing number assigned to the licensee, the name of record, date of birth, Washington residence address, photograph, a brief description of the licensee, ((
either a facsimile of the signature of the licensee or a space upon
which the licensee shall write his or her usual signature with pen and
ink immediately upon receipt of the license, and, if applicable, the
person's status as a veteran as provided in subsection (2) of this
section. No license is valid until it has been so signed by the
(2) A person may apply to the department to obtain a veteran designation on a driver's license issued under this section by providing the United States department of defense discharge document, DD Form 214, as it exists on the effective date of this section, or such subsequent date as may be provided by the department by rule, consistent with the purposes of this section, that shows a discharge status of "honorable" or "general under honorable conditions" that establishes the person's service in the armed forces of the United States.
Sec. 2 RCW 46.20.117 and 2012 c 80 s 6 are each amended to read
(1) Issuance. The department shall issue an identicard, containing a picture, if the applicant:
(a) Does not hold a valid Washington driver's license;
(b) Proves his or her identity as required by RCW 46.20.035; and
(c) Pays the required fee. Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section, the fee is forty-five dollars from October 1, 2012, to June 30, 2013, and fifty-four dollars after June 30, 2013, unless an applicant is a recipient of continuing public assistance grants under Title 74 RCW, who is referred in writing by the secretary of social and health services. For those persons the fee must be the actual cost of production of the identicard.
(2)(a) Design and term. The identicard must:
(a))) (i) Be distinctly designed so that it will not be confused
with the official driver's license; and
(b))) (ii) Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section,
expire on the sixth anniversary of the applicant's birthdate after
(b) The identicard may include the person's status as a veteran, consistent with RCW 46.20.161(2).
(3) Renewal. An application for identicard renewal may be submitted by means of:
(a) Personal appearance before the department; or
(b) Mail or electronic commerce, if permitted by rule of the department and if the applicant did not renew his or her identicard by mail or by electronic commerce when it last expired.
An identicard may not be renewed by mail or by electronic commerce unless the renewal issued by the department includes a photograph of the identicard holder.
(4) Cancellation. The department may cancel an identicard if the holder of the identicard used the card or allowed others to use the card in violation of RCW 46.20.0921.
(5) Alternative issuance/renewal/extension. The department may issue or renew an identicard for a period other than five years from October 1, 2012, to June 30, 2013, or six years after June 30, 2013, or may extend by mail or electronic commerce an identicard that has already been issued, in order to evenly distribute, as nearly as possible, the yearly renewal rate of identicard holders. The fee for an identicard issued or renewed for a period other than five years from October 1, 2012, to June 30, 2013, or six years after June 30, 2013, or that has been extended by mail or electronic commerce, is nine dollars for each year that the identicard is issued, renewed, or extended. The department may adopt any rules as are necessary to carry out this subsection.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3 This act takes effect August 30, 2017."
Correct the title.
EFFECT: Eliminates a provision in the underlying bill that allowed the department of licensing to charge applicants a two dollar fee for a veteran's designation. Delays the effective date of the act from July 1, 2015, to August 30, 2017.